drought largest natural disaster area in the country’s history.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 13, 2012.

1. The fact is that the out of the ordinary weather events are becoming more ordinary.

Temps are going parabolic.

CO2 is up 35% in the last hundred years or so and it's from us. and the levels are going parabolic.

Ice everywhere is melting.

Sea levels are rising and the rate is accelerating.

What I do does not enter into the determination of the validity of the science. Nor does what China do or Russia or India.

#11     Jul 13, 2012
  2. wjk

wjk

No, but what they do determines the outcome of the science, and probably to a far greater extent than what we do. My point is: What are you willing to do to play your part if you believe in the validity of the science, which you obviously do?

Even though I'm incorrectly considered a right wing extremist by some in this forum (I'm much more libertarian than right wing), I do a few things. My plant burns coal, and my house is all electric, though I wouldn't mind some solar if and when I can afford it. I only run my air a few hours a day, even though I live in Fl. I wouldn't run it some days at all if my music recording equipment wasn't sensitive to the humidity. I live away from town, so now I combine more trips when income is not involved. I get low power bills for the size house I live in as a result, a reasonable trade.

I simply want to know what the hard core believers are willing to do without the dictates of big government. We know how Gore contributed (mostly hot air and hypocrisy). How are you contributing? I don't dispute AGW, and am willing to do a little here and there. How bout you? I'm all for reasonable compromises, but not knee jerk draconian measures based on science that cannot possibly be conclusive.

#12     Jul 13, 2012
  3. 1) Well that just makes it ordinary.
    2) Bullsh!t
    3) quit breathing then
    4)Well DUH! ,it has a tendency to do that in the summer time.
    5)Since total volume of h20 is relatively constant , it's a very self limiting phenomenon if even valid at all.
    6)Well I'm sorry it may not change the science but it sure as hell indicates how seriously we should take your practical commitment and solutions.

I mean c'mon you remind me of a preacher railing every sunday on the wages of homosexuality and secretly a pederast the other 167hrs/week.

#13     Jul 13, 2012
  4. Fair enough. I'm more of a science guy than a policy wonk but....

I did not buy an SUV or a similar low-mileage vehicle. I personally think they should be banned except for work reasons. They are totally unnecessary and one of the bigger sources of CO2. This is where government needs to act. Mileage standards. Efficiency standards for new construction HVAC systems etc. This has already done much to help but it can be made much better. I did need to buy a mini-van for my work but if a hybrid one is available when I need a new one I'll go for it.

My sailboat has a one liter gas tank ? My house is modest? I know, lame.

I encourage my customers to install high-efficiency HVAC systems even though in many cases it's more work with no more pay for me. I make sure they are running as efficiently as possible.

BTW Gore is carbon-neutral. Unfortunately, hatred for Gore spills over into the GW thing and his getting involved may actually have been a detriment.

Unfortunately the reality is that what I can do is limited. I still need nat gas to heat the home and I have to buy electricity from the local power company who instead of nuclear, is mostly fossil-fuel sourced.

This is also where the government could help. France for instance is I think something like 80% nuke. Yes nuclear has problems, but it doesn't have the capability of essentially destroying the entire planet like FF does. Nuclear is the best single way out of this mess.

Voluntary measures can only go so far. A ship is not sailed by the crew acting independently. And the destination needs to be agreed upon first.

#14     Jul 13, 2012
  5. Mercor

Mercor

Are you all saying go long grains?

#15     Jul 13, 2012
  6. I think it's fair to say that agricultural products as a whole will get more expensive. Companies associated with building sea-walls and flood prevention should do well. Plain old fresh water will become very valuable in some areas. Figure out a way to get it there cheaply and make a fortune. Seaside property will take a hit. My neighbor's house has been condemned because erosion has taken out her back deck and her house is now at the edge of a bluff. And she built walls and terraced, to no avail.

#16     Jul 14, 2012
  7. wjk

wjk

I agree.

At some point when I build my final home, I intend to use geothermal and solar to whatever extent I can. I plan to build with ICF for maximum environmental control as well as storm protection where I live.

I’m not a big fan of noisy windmills, though one of the reasons I get away with not using my heat and air where I live is the location of my house and the amount and location of openings. I have plenty of natural wind energy. I'm on a hill with few trees, so I get a pretty good wind flow through my house most of the time when I open it up.

I wouldn't mind seeing nat gas vehicles become more mainstream in the near future, but in the meantime I'll be acquiring a motorcycle for trips that don't require hauling gear. Probably get a used 1200.

All of the above are pro-environment, should cost me less in the long term, and were decisions made by me, not forced on me by the Gov. I benefit as does the environment.

#17     Jul 14, 2012
  8. Drought is a direct result of EPA actions Liberal policies, premarital sex, welfare payments, gay marriage demands, abortion availability, evolution taught in schools, school prayer denied, and Karl Rove's father having become homosexual. GOD IS PUNISHING THE GODLESS ANTI CONSERVATIVE.

STAND UP FOR GOD, GUNS, AND AMERICA, AND PRAY FOR RAIN. (and, fellow conservatives, don't butt fuck your best buddy until the crop report is out)

#18     Jul 15, 2012
  9. Eight

Eight

volcanic activity on land and ocean bottoms is up too... Ice was reported as melting at one of the poles so badly that Polar Bears were having trouble finding ice floes in Scientific American... in the 1920's!! I'm going to set my hair on fire and run in circles screaming about Global Warming.. Not!!

#19     Jul 16, 2012
  10. Droughts come and go. Nothing new here. Hot and dry during the summer doesn't worry me. Now if it had been 25 degrees and snowing all summer...

#20     Jul 16, 2012