drought largest natural disaster area in the country’s history.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 13, 2012.

1. i am sure its nothing to worry about since the right wing intelligensia on et has declared global warming false.

Severe drought conditions plaguing more than half of the United States has developed into the largest natural disaster area in the country’s history.
    The United States Department of Agriculture declared natural disasters for 26 states and more than 1,000 counties because of the extreme drought that has destroyed crops in farms throughout the nation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tural-disaster-U-S-history.html#ixzz20VcvEvIb

2. Is it global drought or global warming?

3. wjk

wjk

I’ve never disputed man's contribution to possible climate abnormalities. The dustbowl years alone proves that, however, this kneejerk response to every extreme is pure bullshit. There has always been, and will always be climate and related weather extremes whether we are here or not. To blame every extreme on man shows how little you really know about, or proves you are a propagandist of the highest order.

Since you’ve indicated such concern, list for me all the ways you've altered your life to play your part in reducing man's footprint. I don't mean what you think the gov should do about it on your behalf, but what YOU have done with no coercion other than your own belief. I expect a lengthy list.

4. i had no kids:

Statisticians at Oregon State University have done just that. Paul Murtaugh and Michael Schlax calculated that every child in the US adds 9,441 tonnes to each parent's carbon footprint. This is assuming that emissions per capita continue at today's levels. Compare that with 1,384 tonnes of carbon dioxide for each child in China,

"Many people are unaware of the power of exponential population growth," Murtaugh said. "Future growth amplifies the consequences of people's reproductive choices today, the same way that compound interest amplifies a bank balance."

5. The drought is fully consistant with what we should expect from GW.

One of things GW is doing is adding energy into the weather simply because there is more heat and moisture in the atmosphere. Another is that due to the melting of the arctic ice the jet stream meanders are moving more slowly. This means when we are in a cold or warm pattern it lasts longer.

[​IMG]

6. Indeed, that is great news for all of us.

7. wjk

wjk

We could also expect such events if there wasn't GW. Geological history is filled with climate events that might be considered out of the ordinary, many of which occurred before man was even around. I'm not saying man is not a factor in current events, but the evidence is not conclusive, IMO.

I don't know if the meteorological data I disseminated during my 5 years as an Aerographer's Mate in the navy was used in the models being bandied about today, but I do know that during the year I spent launching weather balloons, atmospheric temps were read in only one of 3 ways...aircraft, rockets, and weather balloons. Sat readings didn't come until later. That was only 30 years ago. My point is: We've only had large scale atmospheric temp readings through altitude for a very short time. Just saying...

As a believer, what have you done in your life to reduce your footprint?

8. The single most effective thing the US could do is to eliminate all subsidies for the purchase of a house.
    That would mean the mortgage interest deduction, the property tax deduction, the closing down of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the FHLB, the elimination of FHA loans, and probably some other things I'm not thinking of right now 'cause the list of subsidies to single family home ownership is long. Real long.
    That would do it. Never happen. Not in my lifetime, not in yours. The single largest contributor to political campaigns is the real estate industry, and that's especially true on the local level, where Congressmen get elected.
    Will never happen. You can take that to the bank.

9. Me Too!
    Wow! I had no clue I was going to the same lengths as you (our resident worry wart) to save the planet and I did it without even trying.:D :D

Pardon me while I burn this tree to atone for my sins.

10. You also should not have any kids.

#10     Jul 13, 2012