dropping a bomb

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by sporky, Aug 11, 2007.

1. he's right, and people should study more game theory and psychology.

i suspect there are a lot of losing retail traders here. they love to talk about risk/reward when they really don't understand the concept

the point is this.

i can enter a trade at any time with a stop of 5 pts and a target of 15 pts.

that has a favorable "risk/reward" but it is clearly not a positive expectancy trade.

you can have a trade setup that has a stop of 20 pts and a target of 10 (a so called poor "risk/reward") BUT if GIVEN those parameters, it results in target being met before stop 92% of the time, that's a GREAT trade, has high positive expectancy, etc.

managing risk is exceptionally important. most traders can't even DEFINE their edge, but they think they understand "risk/reward" so it's all ok.

#11     Aug 11, 2007
  2. sporky

sporky

ok, I can't call myself a poker/craps player but it sounds like y'all are saying it's a matter of probabilities. yes?

#12     Aug 11, 2007
  3. True, most of the ETers do not trade, if they do, the try and swing trade from the 401k account. But hey, at least the buy buy buy.

But if you really do have to ask such a question, it is pathatic. Now, if you were to ask one to evaluate an new "Risk/Reward? model, tracking numbers and %, then I would take the trader serious.

"Parents basements" lol

ET is like CNBC.....a joke but fun to watch.

E

#13     Aug 11, 2007
  4. The objective of the risk/ reward ratio is to make you mechanical in your trading. It also helps you in becoming more picky in choosing your trades. If I am giving the market an X amount of my money for outsmarting me, I will be damned if I am going to let them get away with anything less than double the amount of money that I am willing to lose if I am right!!!!!

There for, I will only enter trades that I feel confident that will achieve such goal for me. I am in control of my decision, not the market.

#14     Aug 12, 2007
  5. BJL

BJL

nor is risk quantifiable.

#15     Aug 12, 2007
  6. maxpi

maxpi

If you know exactly where you are going to take profit and where you are going to stop out you can know the risk/reward ahead of time. If you use TA to enter, take profits, and exit, like I do, you can only know the average win to average loss ratio from history.

#16     Aug 12, 2007
  7. I have been thinking about positive expectancy and game theory a lot lately. Let's say one has a method that has a 2-1 reward to risk with a 65% win ratio, obviously a positive expectancy. You have your stats and they are accurate, you have collected atleast 200 samples, your max consecutive numbers of losses is 4. The problem is at 4 consecutive losses you hit your max stop loss for the day. Should you ignore and hit the next trade because according to game theory your chance of getting the next winner is high or quit according to plan? Maybe a trader should change their plan and up their max draw down for the day? I believe I know the answer, but at 2 years under my belt, I am looking for more experienced feedback.

#17     Aug 12, 2007
  8. simki

simki

yeah, i agree to this too....

Unless you are doing something like long options..... very often risk is not quantifiable too....

#18     Aug 12, 2007
  9. sporky

sporky

ok, granted, markets can go through your stops.

but, one can still quantify a point beyond which one wants out. Let's not split hairs.

#19     Aug 12, 2007
  10. I WISH I was posting from my parents basement. :D

#20     Aug 12, 2007