'DREAM' Amnesty fails, H-1b increase still pending

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LT701, Sep 28, 2007.

1. LT701

LT701

what on earth would make you think that?

#21     Sep 30, 2007
  2. LT701

LT701

In my work as a consultant, at the completion of the project, I would be able to perform at a basic level the job of anyone who used the system

After all, most of the user's jobs revolved around use of the system

And I had just programmed every possible scenerio of doing their job, on any possible day and tested it countless times

If anything, I think these is a massive number of jobs that would be EASIER to replace than tech

And I believe the proof of my position is closer than you think...

#22     Sep 30, 2007
  3. LOL, so called American democracy is such a scam.

#23     Oct 1, 2007
  4. Either way we get inflation. Why not let Americans have American jobs.

"Who will do the work?" Raise wages and find out.

The influx of immigrants is more than an economic issue.

#24     Oct 1, 2007
  5. LT701

LT701

it's like a car with a bad transmission

it isnt completely broken, but it's close

you have to be really determined to get it to do what you want

when EVERYONE calls, like they did this summer, they back down......for a little while

#25     Oct 1, 2007
  6. If you're talking about jobs replaced by automation, you're right. I've terminated tons of people's jobs by automating their functions.
    If you're talking about outsourcing however, no. Tech jobs can easily be replaced by outsourcing to foreign countries.
    It is, however, true that automation kills far more jobs than outsourcing ever will. Just ask the UAW.

#26     Oct 1, 2007
  7. LT701

LT701

in all the systems I ever did, I only displaced one person, and I didnt feel good about it - fortuantely, he found another job soon

actually automation and guest workers/outsourcing have inverse effects

capital investment gives leverage to the productivity of workers, and so in some cases, they can be paid more

whereas guest workers and outsourcing are simply a matter of cheaper workers, period

cheaper workers lower wages, by definition

#27     Oct 2, 2007
  8. Very true. I never minded automating out of existence all those jobs, because for the most part the people either found other jobs in the company or were given good packages when they were let go, which of course gave them a decent amount of time to find something else, or just retire if they were old enough.
    The one wild card is the retirement of the boomers. So many are going to be leaving the labor force over the next few years that it just might cancel out the effect of outsourcing and immigration. Already, the 55 to 64 age group, the ones leaving the labor force, outnumber the 18 to 25 year olds, the age bracket that is entering the labor force. Check the latest Census reports.

#28     Oct 2, 2007
  9. LT701

LT701

well, it appears the the defense bill passed, and h-1b increase was not part of it

but you know the next attempt to raise it is probably already in the works

people, if you oppose this sort of thing, know that the people who are calling their Senators are the only thing that's held it back

will we continue to succeed? that depends, in part whether you join us

join numbersusa, it's free, they dont sell your name or give you more e-mails than you select for

sign up for alerts on this issue, they'll keep you posted - then call or fax your rep (numbersusa makes faxing incredibly easy) when you get an alert - it's all you have to do to make a difference

i calculate that up to 200,000 MORE jobs per year would have been lost had this last round passed

the people that called/faxed their Senators stopped it

#29     Oct 3, 2007
  10. Thanks for keeping us appraised of this. You're right. Fighting the open borders crowd will be a never-ending struggle.

#30     Oct 3, 2007