Drawdowns

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by sKaLpZ, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

hedging with short options will keep the drawdowns to a minimum amongst other stategies

#41     Feb 11, 2006
  2. achilles28

achilles28

My broker ;)

I suspect you're being playfull. But to answer the question, depends on the strategy.

Trade only those moves that have historically shown to generate high expectancy moves + incorporate reoccuring fundamental market themes (technical, volume, price, news).

For instance, a fundamentally tanking stock, coupled with a flat market, followed by a hard bounce off a long term (day, week, month) declining trendline = near guarenteed move.

my 2 cents.

#42     Feb 11, 2006
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. I want to address this but gonna run out the door and meet the gf.

Will get back to you later :)

#43     Feb 11, 2006
  4. give her a big kiss for me...and tell her your going to be rich :) watch her reaction and hedge your next move if necessary

#44     Feb 11, 2006
  5. :p

#45     Feb 11, 2006
  6. I'm only playful in the sense that finding high expectancy moves is the only thing that works. In fact, if you can do this, you're a good predictor. IMHO, it's the only way to go.

#46     Feb 11, 2006
  7. Another good, near guaranteed strategy is to stalk ~HA negative reports: wait for the stock to tank, look for the first signs of recovery (90% of the time u can see a vbottom pattern and volumes picking up; enter a long trade when rate of change and momentum increases, place your profit tgt at first ema(20), then second(50) and eventually if u want to push your luck the third 100min ema. Look back at stocks that disappointed this qt and u'll see this pattern repeating again and again.

#47     Feb 11, 2006
  8. Here's an example:

#48     Feb 11, 2006
  9. Learner

Learner

What is a drawdown?

Say, after you entered a trade, long YM at 10925, the price moved to 10902, your current position drawdown is -23 points, if you are holding 5 lots your $ drawdown =5x(-23)x$5=-$575.

Am I right?

I am a learner until the day I retired from daytrading.

#49     Feb 11, 2006
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Don't go all in with a pair of deuces. You can't bluff the market. Make certain and only take the hands that are AA or KK. Stay out of the market when the probability is not high. You see , the secret to success in the markets is the mostly the same as poker. It's not the winning that you need to worry about--it's the losses that need to be managed

#50     Feb 11, 2006