Drawdowns

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by sKaLpZ, Jul 21, 2005.

1. You never eliminate drawdowns. You learn how to control them. In the end the will become "insignificant". This is, at least for me, a very lengthy and demanding process.
    I'll give you a hunch: stop in trying to separate "entry timing" from "stop placement"

#31     Feb 11, 2006
  2. Always In? how can that reduce drawdowns?

#32     Feb 11, 2006
  3. Sorry to interuppt...

Balance...interest carry....capturing larger moves for starters...

#33     Feb 11, 2006
  4. You also give back a lot of profits.. You do catch really huge moves.. UP all the way and down all the way.

#34     Feb 11, 2006
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Thats a good idea. I never thought of that before. Thanks. :)

Im not sure what you mean by 'grid your way back'?

Thank you. This makes sense.

I trade off the 5 min. Hedging the pair and then removing the hedge after the original has gone to breakeven, seems like a good start.

Sound advice. This ties in with the observation - trade the near-guaranteed winners and leave the rest.

'trade less, profit more' philosophy.

Again, something I will take a look at.

#35     Feb 11, 2006
  6. just so they are not at the same time :) gridding the flow is a good thing too...but can trap you for many months...

#36     Feb 11, 2006
  7. Never talked about "Always IN".
    I'm in as little as possible.

Can't argue with that one.
    BTW, who near-garantees these winners for you?

#37     Feb 11, 2006
  8. achilles,

Interesting...but in Forex when they say Hedge, they mean a long and a short at the same time...this can be a wastful way to trade, but you can find the trend...

I do not exactley trade like this...but you need to play with it and evolve....the completed hedge can be like an offsett on the teeter tottor of balance...You will net out your direction eventually...learn to take some TP out of the flow during your hold...this fortifies your basket making the time worthwhile....sometimes all this complexity is not necessary, as everything you put on finds its way...react, balance and stratagize....the methodical way is best...

You will eventually be able to withstand whatever the market gives you....you will see...This is more important than yield. when you get this far, then your challenge becomes increasing yield, but you gotta get there first...and this is not gambling...

trade off the 5 min. Hedging the pair and then removing the hedge after the original has gone to breakeven, seems like a good start.

#38     Feb 11, 2006
  9. achilles28

achilles28

hmm. If you're not always in, are you reffering to stalking the 'sure things'.

Trade only the near guarenteed moves and stop management becomes relativily inconsequential?

Thanks for sharing :)

#39     Feb 11, 2006
  10. I use high probility set ups with my hedging and stay rather active while I watch 15-20 pairs...with up to seven of them on at one time...I have not been flat for 82 days and never exceeded 4:1 leverage while staying under an 8% DD...All is calcuted in percentages and I can trade any amount of capital...This is retail spot forex...my dreams would be to have enough capital to actually effect liquidity during London Trading....oh my gawd...

#40     Feb 11, 2006