DP's exotics journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by drownpruf, May 7, 2014.

1. EURUSD going off at 60 on the week. I can't hedge large enough to make a difference (would require 1MM units here), and I didn't take the bet on Cauchy/symmetric-distribution (the long synthetic straddle).

It's purely an upside call until I can get-off 500K spot at 3785. I've got a MIT short at 3785 for 500.

#41     May 9, 2014
  2. contra

contra

Good luck on the trades. I think 3800 may act as a magnet next week. vol lifted but not much last I checked, although I don't have access to live quotes on it.

lol

If you recall I was just trying to get into doing this until you took the only op I had away! :( (oanda)

I'm thinking my best bet is IB and try to structure something similar in listed vanillas on equities. I do have work cut out for me before I do, but I understand the basic idea.

#42     May 9, 2014
  3. The curvature isn't the same, but you can structure a narrow OTM vertical (synthetic digital) and cut it when you hit the long strike. You'll have to trade larger than you would normally do.

#43     May 9, 2014
  4. contra

contra

Thanks, I'll check that out next week. I like what you guys were doing with the flies too.

#44     May 9, 2014
  5. nvroy

nvroy

Thanks for the explanation, this looks more involved than thought, interesting indeed.

So the hedge idea is to recover 1/2 the original investment and not so much as to turn it into a scratch trade. There are 3 scenarios that I can think of: EUR trades through 1.3750, DNT expires but gained on touch hedge - loses 1/2 of investment. EUR remains above touch hedge and below upper boundary of DNT until expiration, loses on touch hedge but gain on DNT - scratch trade. Best scenario would be when touch hedge is triggered but stayed within DNT bounds till expiration - gains on both trades... nice!

#45     May 11, 2014
  6. Did you hedge the 3810 touch ?

#46     May 21, 2014
  7. I did, but I was on vacation, so for sake of transparency you can assume I did not. I missed the 75 short and had to chase it down to 50-62.

#47     May 21, 2014
  8. Giving up on this?

#48     Jun 24, 2014