DP's exotics journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by drownpruf, May 7, 2014.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite

I don't plan on running out and trading them, I am just curious how they work. What determines the higher vs. lower price? Who buys these smart money or retail traders? And if there is one side that buys them is there a way to monitor the pricing as a sentiment indicator (if it is cheaper to go lower vs higher maybe that is telling me something)?

#11     May 9, 2014
  2. I'll get to the questions in a bit, but this paid on the 70 touch (by a pip to 69). The DNT is still alive.

#12     May 9, 2014
  3. ashantt

ashantt

Xelite is trying to up his post record. He wants to get to 5000 posts by the end of the summer, hence he comments on everything.

#13     May 9, 2014
  4. DP: is this a systematic approach or discretionary decisions?

#14     May 9, 2014
  5. It was a bet on the ECB and vol-drop. Equity mkts are making it tough. Spot is about to take out the DNT. We'll see.

#15     May 9, 2014
  6. nvroy

nvroy

DP,

Thanks for the exotic options thread, never understood how it's structured.

How do you determine when to hedge the position, and why do you only hedge after a 70 pips drop, and only for 1/2 your original investment? Do you hedge on spot at initiation of position? Thanks.

#16     May 9, 2014
  7. contra

contra

Covered the downside on the reversal yesterday? Nice ... So if it trades under 50 the DNT is worthless but a least you gained some back on the touch.

#17     May 9, 2014
  8. Yeah, sucks but it's a moral victory for me as I had a decent price to cover a portion of the downside. I've all but written off the DNT.

I just did this one:

[​IMG]

14D, 35D bull touch. I expect that 3810 will be hit by this coming Tuesday. May23, 24,200//30,000. 81/100 hits. 23% return if touched. Rationale was a bull signal on a vola system.

#18     May 9, 2014
  9. how do you measure volatility (mathematically) on FX as opposed to options?

any formulas?

#19     May 9, 2014
  10. I don't know the first thing about exotic options trading. But wouldn't you say these kind of equity swings(-12% on the first 2 trades, and now risking ~25% of nav in the next trade) are a wee bit extreme?

#20     May 9, 2014