Downloading movies off the net

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 30, 2003.

1. only if your getting more than 25% less than you pay for.

#11     Dec 30, 2003
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Wait a minute, I just did it again and I got 1.65 mbps, twice as fast!!!

What the hell.

#12     Dec 30, 2003
  3. WHOA that's great! FAST! :cool:

verify your tests here:

www.dslreports.com

"test/tools" [left side]
    "speed tests" [lower left]

#13     Dec 30, 2003
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

So based on my last speed, how long would it take to download a two hour movie? And what is the best software to use? Kaza, limewire?

#14     Dec 30, 2003
  5. not long

#15     Dec 30, 2003
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

What is not long? Two hours? Four hours? Eight hours?

Whats the best software?

Limewire?

Kazaa?

#16     Dec 30, 2003
  7. I use Kazaa to download movies off the net and then delete them within 24 hours. This is so I can decide whether I want to purchase the higher quality DVD and support the movie houses that took the time, money and energy to create these wonderful pieces of artistic work.

Now, with that BS out of the way, I have a 3.0 megabit connection and, generally speaking, I can download a movie anywhere between 4-12 hours. The largest limiting factor is not my download speed, but the upload speed of most other people. Since most cable companies limit upload speed to 256k, the bottleneck occurs on the sending side and not the receiving bandwidth (mine, or yours if you are downloading).

If it is a popular movie that many people are sharing, it will download faster.

Most movies are compressed in Mpeg-4 format and have a file size in the neighborhood of 700 megabytes.

I've gotten speeds as fast as 150k bytes a second. At that rate, I'd download a meg in approximately 9 seconds -- so an entire movie would take approximately 6,300 seconds or just under 2 hours. That rarely happens. Average speed is around 30k-50k a second if I'm lucky.

#17     Dec 30, 2003
  8. KazzaLite has no spyware.

#18     Dec 30, 2003
  9. KazaaLite got sued by Kazaa and is no more.

#19     Dec 30, 2003

10. its still available. try up2dat.com and scroll down the main pg a bit for the dowload link.

#20     Dec 30, 2003