Downloading Historical Data

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Eldredge, May 28, 2004.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

I am having trouble downloading historical data into Excel in an efficient manner. I would like to download EOD prices for a few hundred stocks for the last few years. I am familiar with using DDE in real time, and I know it is possible to import external data, but I can't find a way to do it efficiently. I don't have any programming skills (other than writing formulas in excel), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rwk

rwk

I was a programmer in a prior lifetime, and I have written several VBA macros to load financial data into Excel. It's really pretty easy. Send me a PM, if you want a sample. Depending on where you get your data, the vendor may already have such a tool. A quick and dirty alternative would be to collect free data in ASCII with a tool like DataSharks (http://www.datasharks.biz), then import it directly into Excel.

3. A free Excel Add-In called StockWatch can help create a portfolio of past and present stock holdings and see the gains and losses at a glance.
    http://breaktru.com/stock.html

hope that it could help :)

4. rwk

rwk

5. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks for the help. I'm not looking for quotes, just a quick and easy way to download EOD prices for a lot of stocks for the past 2 or 3 years into excel so that I can study them. I will check out the links. Thanks again for the help.

6. abogdan

abogdan

I've got a downloader for eSignal EOD. It costs $12 a month to get a feed. You'll need to subscribe for 1 month to esignal and you'll download all you need and then unsubscribe. Do you want it?

7. Eldredge

Eldredge

abogdan,

I would really appreciate the downloader. What do I need to do to get it? Thanks for the help.

8. abogdan

abogdan

No problem. I'll try to attach it to this post. If it doesn't work send me a PM with your email address.

9. abogdan

abogdan

Can you download the file?

10. abogdan

abogdan

Let me know, I'll send the instructions on how to use it.

#10     May 28, 2004