Download a thread or user?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by cashonly, Aug 19, 2003.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Is it possible to download a thread or all the posts by a single user?

2. Click on the # of posts listed under the person's user name to get a listing of all their posts, or you can use the search feature to get the same.

3. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Yes,

But how can I download them to my PC like I can with my Private Messages?

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You can't download all the posts that have been submitted by a single user.

5. Sorry, skimmed right over the word download.

6. kaizer

kaizer

and what about the entire thread, is there any way to automate it's download?

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

For what purpose?

8. kaizer

kaizer

To digest the posts, structure the information, remove trolls posts and finally have ready to print file. Thread is 100+ pages so if possible to do it without copy-paste page by page it will be fine...

P.S. My purpose is to have structured info for benefit of myself and other ETers, not for reposting in other forum, dont worry, I know the rules.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  9. Sprout

Sprout

However the troll and lo-FI posts still remain. Easier way is to skim through and add all lo-FI posters to your ignore list, then c&p into text editor.

Save charts separately in an addendum, referenced within text.

There is no easy way to do it yet doing it facilitates assimilation and retention in long term memory.

virtusa likes this.
  10. virtusa

virtusa

I am sure you can do it easily in excel.
    • Export the thread and copy past it in excel.
    • Find the start of each posting from the poster you wish to have with the find function.
    • Check the end of each posting (which is "===").
    • With a few "if then else" and other filters you can have all the lines from the specific poster in 1 column and all lines that are from other posters can be blank.
    • Copy paste the values of this column.
    • Number all the lines from 1 to XXX.
    • Sort on that column so that all the blank lines are together and delete them.
    • Sort the column again based on the numbering and you have the wanted postings in the correct order.

Setting up this takes a bit of time, but once installed it goes fast. You can even put all in a macro to automate the manipulations.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    #10     Feb 5, 2021