Downgrade to XP Pro from Vista Business

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bighog, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I just had a hell of a time installing Vista 64bit. Installed it through a Virtual machine from XP Pro. VMware corrupted my original C drive. MBR was fucked. I had 2 harddrive so I took out the corrupted one. Then spent atleast 24 working hours with different hardware configurations to be able to install Vista from a USB drive.

Got it installed and after several Blue Screens of Death my other harddrive started making clicking noises and was slow to load. So now that one is fucked. Bought another drive and reinstalled Vista. Windows automaticalled installed "important" updates and crashed while loading them. Got stuck in a continuous startup loop while it was trying to load updates, rebooting, etc. Reinstalled AGAIN and everything is working fine (so far.)

I have to say after all the trouble I should have stayed with XP. :mad:

But on the other hand, once it was installed it's not as bad as people say it is, imo.

#11     Nov 1, 2008
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

Vista seems to have troubles with some virtual private networks. FWIW...........Windows 7 seems to be more fluff and AGAIN, no real need to do an upgrade to win7. I learned my lesson going to Vista. Agree vista is OK when installed but there are still issues that a daytrader does not need concerning Vista.

killthesunshine
    What is that i see dripping off your chin? Thanks for the memories, i enjoyed it. hog out!!! Idotit is seilled iddiot. :D

#12     Nov 1, 2008
  3. your no trader.

you might play a trader on ET but your no trader.

#13     Nov 2, 2008
  4. Just fyi, I bought a couple of Vista Business-loaded Lenovo laptops recently and the sales guys told me they would send the discs if I wanted to downgrade to XP Pro. I did the process myself using the Lenovo disc management utility and ran into some problems. Called support and the support guys told me that their experience has been that VB 'doesn't like' to be downgraded - at least, that's the case for some Vista installs.

There's a hidden partition on Lenovo laptops that complicated the process, but in any case, I did have some problems. Got it done eventually though.

Right now I am having some issues that seem to be related to an SP3 install...

#14     Nov 2, 2008
  5. I think the easiest thing to do is copy all your important files to an external disk and just clean install windows XP. Sorry but this is going to bring you the least headaches down the road. Remember that you are saving files not programs you will need to reinstall all your programs. XP should run almost everything that you had on Vista with no problems

#15     Nov 2, 2008