Down nearly 25% on the year... documenting every trade until I'm back to even.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by upandcomer, May 19, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I've been trading stocks for a few years now and in February I started trading options. I don't believe in paper trading and believe the best way to learn about anything in the market is through using real money. As a result, I've learned a lot recently, but I'm down nearly 25% on the year.

The purpose of this journal is to document my journey back to an even P&L on the year. I plan to do this by limiting options trades, which I have been using exclusively for the past 3 months, and going back to what has worked for me (trading/swing trading stocks & ETF's).

2. Holding overnight, stopped out when 60min candle closes above trendline.

Also, commissions are $1.00 per 100 shares.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3. I'm still short heading into Monday.

If spy gaps lower tomorrow morning by anything more than .5%, I will cover half of my position.

I have been working on letting my winners run however, so lets see where this week takes us.

4. I covered all 38 shares at 38.61.

Last night I said I would cover half of the shares if spy gapped down over .5%. I did not do this because spy opened below its daily trendline-support. I then figured spy would trade lower to test the 100sma on the daily chart. I left for my 9 o'clock class and set a buy order for all 38 @ 121.61 (just above the 100sma). I decided to cover all shares because the market, if it reached my 131.61 target, would be way over extended.

pictured below are the daily charts showing this trade; the chart on the left is from last thursday when I put the trade on and the chart on the right is today.

[​IMG]

5. Forgot to add:
    Starting capital = $2670
    Spy short trade = +$113
    Current capital = $2780
    Goal.... $3500

+4.1% account gain on trade and since start of journal.

(Figures may be a bit off due to commissions and an 18$ options contract I am still holding)

6. Sidw

Sidw

Nice long there at 131.61, you got in right on the touch of that trend channel line from May 5.

7. Thanks Sidw.

Short spy at @ 132.7 Stop is ~ 134.5 area.
    Don't know why it says I got filled before the chart reached 132.7...
    Looking to hold this for a while, preferably down to the 124/125 area.

[​IMG]

8. Still short, I knew when I put this trade on that I would probably take some heat. Market is reverting to the mean right now... not worried. If we close at highs today, I will look to see the market gap higher on Friday, in which case I will add to my position as I expect there will be heavy selling into the weekend, and early next week.

9. Just bought 50 DRV @ 11.95

I'm still short 30 SPY.

#10     May 27, 2011