Dow @ New Intraday High for 7/12...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MattF, Jul 12, 2007.

1. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98672

#21     Jul 12, 2007
  2. #22     Jul 12, 2007
  3. Exactly my point. And Michael was calling for that to fall off a cliff. What cliff?

#24     Jul 12, 2007
  4. I will clarify.

You have the $SPX. Its comprised of large cap companies where about half of them have a P/E under 17. 20% of the index is financials. Financials have not been doing well. There are also several other sectors within the SPX that have not been doing well. This index is only up about 10% on the year and gains in it is like pulling teeth. It seems as if it is afraid of getting over its all time intraday high of 1450. Hasnt gone anywhere in about a month.

Then you have the $NDX. P/E of 24. This is up about 12% on the year and it has consistently made higher highs and higher lows these last few months while the $SPX has been making lower lows and lower highs.

I dont think the market will fall off a cliff, I believe value will fall off a cliff. I believe the $SPX will fall off a cliff and the $NDX will continue on to 3000.

If your sitting on the sidelines right now, thats a bad idea. Growth stocks in the NDX will continue their maddening pace higher. I know Amazon is going north of 100. Sitting in dividend paying stocks or value is madness.

#25     Jul 12, 2007
  5. Did you not say the DOW will fall off a cliff?

Are you restating this?

As for me being on the sidelines, bad idea or not, I cannot trade/invest when I do not feel it is the right move. I, like you, believe something bad is about to happen.

Where we have our differences is in the belief that the market is acting "logical". You make the statement that "financials have not been doing well" yet the market continues on to new highs. Does that strike you as logical?

#26     Jul 12, 2007
  6. I said it depends on the euro at this point.

Here, let me clarify all my points for you.

DIAMONDS- The DIA tracks closely with the Euro index and other currencies since most of the revenue on the Diamonds is derived from abroad. The relationship between the DOW and the Euro index is simple. As the Euro goes up, then the Dow goes up. On a price chart, the Euro appears to be at the right peak of a multi-year cup. Would you trust the price to go over the multi-year cup? I wouldnt trust it until it breaks over 1.40 and then my price target becomes 1.74. At that point, I would trust a further breakout of the Diamonds.

SPY- The $SPX index refuses to get over that 1550 level. Its at the right peak of a multi-year high. It just seems to pull back each time telling me that buyers are scared and sellers come out at that level, simple deduction. The SPX tends to be influenced by energy which seems to be going much higher from here.

The Qs- So that leaves Mr. NDX. Big money is throwing itself at the NDX as its the last possible index that doesnt have anything going against it. It still hasnt reached its year 2000 highs and wont for a while. The late stage in the business cycle usually favors high growth stocks. Stocks like Amazon and BIDU are going to unheard of levels. These are classic year 2000 stocks (BIDU wasnt around in 2000, but would have been a bubble stock if it had). The ole year 2000 stocks will be back, maybe not as maddening as before, but surely it will be similiar.

So I say to look at the big picture logically. If your a money manager, which index would you fish from?

Some people threw in the towel as their growth stocks crashed in 2000, but that was a mistake. They should have been looking at where money was going to. The SPY went down in 2000, but not all stocks and indexes headed lower. It was just a matter of money being transfered into other plays...

#27     Jul 12, 2007
  7. Interesting hypothesis. I'll read more into it. But everything you've stated has been true for a while now. You've not shown any evidence that it will change merely because the Euro is at multi-year highs.

Furthermore, you've not shown me the market is behaving logically in any manner whatsoever.

But I appreciate the time.

Cheers.

#28     Jul 12, 2007
  8. There you go again rambling like the mentally impaired putz that you are. All of your analysis is completely wrong.

Not once have you made a single accurate prediction in all of your 1256 posts. You never updated us on your rimm, aapl,ma, and goog short. did you enjoy losing money? I hope so since you seem to be pretty good at it. I figure by now you have gotten used to making losing trades.

#29     Jul 12, 2007
  9. Predictable by whom? By YOUM??
    Did you predict it?
    If you did, you would be a billionaire..

But, you said 2 days ago that you were 'heavily short'.
    Could you and your magical predictive powers not have predicted this??

#30     Jul 12, 2007