DOW Mini's....who'da thunk it

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by stevieoh, Aug 2, 2002.

1. <eurostoxx 50, ftse and dax>

which of these 3 gives the tightest and widest spreads during
    trading hours in the last month or so

and which has the most and least volume and open interest ?

#21     Aug 3, 2002
  2. stevet

stevet

SethArb

"but at this time its not worth it - why bother when you have the sweet dream of the emini s&p, backed up with the nasdaq, eurostoxx 50, ftse and dax"

Were u refering to my quote above when u said 3 - there are 4 of the "back ups"

there all good, but there are a lot of prop room scalpers working the eurostoxx 50, so its probably the best

i dont care about the exact technicals - since to a degree, that sort of data could be misleading - best to go by practical experience based on key trading periods

i say data can be misleading,since there are some contracts which are very tradeable, but appear to have low volume according to statistics, when i fact they have recognisable high volume at certain points in sector cycles, when they are good to trade, although more applicable to arbitrage opportunities

#22     Aug 3, 2002
  3. I will investigate the eurostox , dax , and ftse

this month for trading opps.

while continuing to use the mini dows

nas and sp

I sometimes find myself scalping USD / EUR ... tight spread

on globex .... but FX is another animal ... different ballgame

#23     Aug 3, 2002
  4. I have been actively trading it for several months with good results. Reminds me of NQ during the bubble. Less franticthan today's ES/NQ, less jumping around, kind of trendy. just keeps going in one direction - the herds seem to be liking it. :D
    It trades on the Eurex starting at 3am EST. I love trading it!:p

#24     Aug 5, 2002
  5. Forgot these: Euro Stoxx is very liquid - 1.5 - 2x the volume of NQ.
    The DAX futures is a a LOT less liquid, crazy, buyers/sellers chasing each other. But pays well.
    FTSE futures very illiquid.
    Hope this helps.

#25     Aug 5, 2002
  6. stevet

stevet

the ftse is ok if you choose the right time periods and then support resistance levels are made out of steel

#26     Aug 5, 2002
  7. I will look into moving to europe

as I really hate waking up 3 - 4am to trade :p

#27     Aug 5, 2002
  8. daxman

daxman

dont be worried about having to trade the DAX and Eurostoxx 3:30am EST- there is plenty of trade left at 9:30 when the US market opens
    I wouldnt trade much beyond 11 or 11:30 EST, but the swings are GREAT anytime

Eurostoxx have always been a little less whippy, also helps that the tick size is smaller on point moves -10 euros versus 25 for the DAX
    I highly recommend you start watching the correlation between the DAX and ES...while the US market has always been a leader, it seems that the ES is the leader of all things these days

good luck

#28     Aug 5, 2002
  9. Spark

Spark

Because it is very illiquid, it is a mere manipulating tool during before hour and after hour the market. When Dow future is red or green during offmarket hour, other indices also follow it. I guess it is made iliquird for purpose by big bros......2cents:p

#29     Aug 6, 2002