DOW ETF Short?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Comptalk, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Is the an ETF to short the DOW? I was thinking about DOG and IYY. Are these good ones or are there better?

2. DXD man!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a large position most of the year. Only down 4k compared to 10k two weeks ago on that now...lol

3. DXD 2x short Dow Jones

4. just short the DIA or buy DIA puts...the DIA tracks the DOW...

5. S2007S

S2007S

DXD = dow

SDS = s&p

QID = NDX 100

TWM = Russel 2000

there are alot more others, these are the main ones though. Would wait on these though, dont go all in at once, they get very volatile due to the fact they move 2X what the major averages do.

6. S2007S

S2007S

why short DIA???

when you can buy DOG or DXD.

Thats why they made these ETFs so you dont have to risk shorting or buying puts.

7. S2007S

S2007S

quite a comeback there p&d. I Came close to selling my SDS at 55 the other day, still holding onto to it though, looking to get out at an even $60.

8. I'm not giving up on them. It's my downside protection in case we continue falling. Too bad I'm getting my ass kicked on some long positions or I would have added 500 shares mid-July. I refuse to borrow on margin.

If I can see $58 by years end, I will be happy. Will be able to bang out another dividend too.

9. Prob. going into dxd today and maybe short the qqqq.

10. Whoa..................................I have to comment on this. Particularly since you initated the thread.

1. You've been holding a losing position ALL year? There are times to sacrifice a pawn or two for a rook, but there also comes a point to draw the line.

2. You were going to ADD 500 shares to a losing position? Have you ever heard the adage "throwing good money after bad"?

3. Refusing to borrow on margin? Rigid. Leverage is a tool. Like a hammer. Drive nails. Smash your thumb. Given #1 and #2, probably a good thing you're rigid. But that isn't "discipline. More like paranoia. Also a remedy to your dilemna (IF performed correctly).

4. Downside protection better served and less capital deployed in the den of thieves via puts or calls ( but sleep with one eye open).

5. Despite maintaining losses on both the short AND long side you're concerned about a dividend????

I'm going to be polite and shut up now.

#10     Aug 9, 2007