Dow emini

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by stevet, Apr 1, 2002.

1. stevet

stevet

Thought it might be good to start a thread to watch how the Dow eminis go - certainly they are covering all bases with a $20- and $50 contract - and with fungibility between all the contracts - would be great if volume builds - as long as it does not take it away from the emini S&P and Nasdaq

if institutions who have historially just traded the big contracts, are starting to take advantage of transparency of electronic trading - these new eminis should offer them some good advantages - against them also trading DOW 30 stocks

anyone from an institution know if their company will start targeting them

2. def

def Sponsor

the institutions that i know already trade them.

fyi, there will also be a program with assigned market makers for after hours trading with spreads something like 10 ticks wide (sounds like alot but a tick a two in the dow stocks overnight is more than 10 dow points)

3. stevet

stevet

def

as of this month- there will be 2 electonic dow emini contracts - a $20 and a $50 and they are fungible with themselves and the main electronic contract

4. Thanks, I finally figured out what these guys are talking about.

5. Am I correct that at IB we must subscribe to another data service for $30 a month in order to get quotes on the Dow emini?

6. stevet

stevet

you can get the eminis for a while for free - all other contracts on CBOT have to be paid for

7. wild

wild

all CBOT mini-contracts are free ...

8. No problem with TS6 (Tradestation), all Mini-Contracts (CBOT) without exchange fee (ACE / 30$).

Big problem with IB: They want me to pay exchange fee (ACE / 30$).

9. stevet

stevet

FX-Trader

just wondering if the free emini quotes are in operation yet, as i think the start date is april 6th - could this be the problem with IB?

although IB seem to be saying they know of the offer, but are not in a position to offer it

one issue with TS is that they are offering a charting setup and a trading platform, and as i have already queried in the past - is the data on their trading platform - the same data as on their charting? and if as i believe it should be the case that they are different - are they offering the free emini data on both

at any rate, the whole point of the CBOT offering free emini quotes is to up the liquidity - so i don't get why there would be an issue with IB anyway?

10. Mini-Dow comes in two flavors: YJ (2$, not new), YM (5$, new). Should be able to see YJ quotes on IB TWS.
    Order entry for futures is not integrated into TS6. It is webbased, see Lind-Connect at www.lind-waldock.com

#10     Apr 1, 2002