Douglas or Steenbarger

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Joab, Jan 25, 2007.

Added measuable value to my trading

1. Brett Steenbarger

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Mark Douglas

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Steenbarger. I don't think douglas can trade better than he plagiarize from eastern philosophy.

#11     Jan 27, 2007
  2. Hey Brett,

Can you write some shorten book? Your material is good but it's too damn long.

Regards,
    William

#12     Jan 27, 2007
  3. Dr Steenbarger's approach is simply more effective - solution focused brief therapy (SFBT) is the state of the art in psychology. Besides it is indeed brief - a couple of sessions is enough to have a lasting impact - forget those endless hours required by the traditional psychoanalysis. Intuitively, it is also the approach that seems to be more appealing - focusing on the good points present even in the bleakest of conditions ("you see, I did follow my systems at least once last month - and sure enough it worked as expected; this month i will double my efforts, and reactivate my trading journal, which I had once found to be of enormous help in the religious adherence to my systems") makes more sense than endless brooding over the spilt milk ("this huge loss in November was a real lasting trauma for me and I realize how it blocked my ability to pull the trigger forever; just like the car crash that made me rethink road safety and sell my Volvo and bin my driving license")... see the difference in those two approaches with regard to the ability to move forward?

#13     Feb 6, 2007
  4. Dak

Dak

A good book is never too long.

#14     Feb 6, 2007
  5. Joab

Joab

Very Interesting

The funny thing is, this is the same technology the navy has used to train Dolphins for over 20 years. :D

#15     Feb 6, 2007
  6. Wrong on that I'm sorry. There is a chapter on behavioural strategies but his primary approach is cognitive (which doesn't work so well with dolphins).

Neither. Or Both. But.

Assuming you live near Brett and Mark (a few thousand miles?) then you might read both books but you should then consider an investment in that 20% you still want. They say that Doctors shouldn't try to heal themselves and I suspect that the same distortions make it difficult for us to heal ouselves.

If I was in the US I'd hunt out Dr Brett (sorry, but Mark's prescriptions are all too simplistic to deal with the last 20%) and see if he'd make an appointment. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

#16     Feb 6, 2007
  7. I live five miles from Brett. I've tried. I've begged. He simply will not see an independent trader one on one. He only works with his firm's traders.

That said, he does respond to emails. But I wouldn't try a coaching session via email. That's asking a bit much.

Here's his blog: http://www.traderfeed.blogspot.com/

#17     Feb 6, 2007
  8. OK. Heres the next best option.

Still read both sets of books. Email Brett and explain where your at and why you think you're there using the model in his second book. Ask him for a referral to someone he thinks can help you move over that last hurdle ... that might work.

I'd do it to get over the last 45% of my improvement capability (20% Joab, I am in awe) but I doubt he knows anyone down my way. :(

#18     Feb 6, 2007
  9. Joab

Joab

From what I've read about Brett he seems like a very approachable guy, you may want to consider a phone consultation.

If he's under contract and can't, well that's another story.

I've just order the 2 books and I will post my reviews and opinions after I've had a good read through.

Good Trades to you mate

:)

#19     Feb 6, 2007
  10. Jake Bernstein, Adrienne Toghraie, Ruth Barrons Roosevelt. All have written books in the subject discussed. Good luck!

#20     Feb 7, 2007