Double standard for Vick

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hapaboy, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Do you realize just how many jobs are created because of these entertainers?

#11     Aug 5, 2007
  2. Oh my God. Only you can turn Vick's pit bull fighting ring into a race issue. Sickening. Too bad Mr. Cochran isn't around to use that as his defense, he might just get away with it.

#12     Aug 5, 2007
  3. Yeah.
    Anyone who throws around racism allegations so readily, cannot possibly be taken seriously.

#13     Aug 5, 2007
  4. Yup, and the <i>only</i> reason I find Jar-Jar Binks annoying, is because the character is voiced by a black actor. Get Real! :p

#14     Aug 5, 2007
  5. George Lucas is racist! Michael Vicks pit bulls are racist! White cops arresting anyone with dark skin is racist. ET is racist for allowing me to post! RACIST!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!!!!

#15     Aug 5, 2007
  6. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

RM, I wasn't serious, just pointing out that every post jzlucas makes has racial overtones.

And yes, what Vick did is horrible but the same people that are so quick to point him out, judging by their previous posts are being hypocrites.

#16     Aug 6, 2007
  7. You made it a race issue by saying we all want him in jail cuz he's black. I just commented on how ridiculous it was for you to make this a race issue.

J. "Oh no you didn't" Lucas

#17     Aug 6, 2007
  8. It's hard to say if there is a racial issue here. On the one hand, a lot of fans are sick of sports being held hostage to a bunch of hip-hop thugs and morons. We're sick of the whining, complaints and drama from guys like Allen Iverson and TO who would probably be in prison or working at a car wash if not for sports.

On the other hand, I think the reaction from fans and the league would have been at least as outraged if say, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were indicted for running a large dog-fighting operation. So it's hard to say it's racial. I think it's more about letting people down who trusted and depended on you and certainly, in Vick's case, a stunning lack of gratitude.

#18     Aug 6, 2007
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

And we shouldn't forget double standards being applied to Mark McGwire. Every single player with at least 500 homers who is eligible for the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame has been inducted except for Mark McGwire. He has 583 and currently sits in 8th place on the alltime list. For his career he averaged an astounding home run once every 10.61 at bats which is the lowest at bats per home run ratio in all of baseball history (Babe Ruth is second at 11.76). He was never charged with anything, and didn't violate any baseball drug rules in place when he played (he admitted to taking androstenedione, an over-the-counter muscle enhancement product, which was legal for use in MLB). Yet I haven't heard any of the Vick supporters who cry about holding off judgment etc. etc. apply the same standard to Big Mac. And you know when Barry Bonds comes up for vote he'll get in on the first ballot despite blatantly obvious steroid use. So regarding the selective application of the "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" notion it reminds me of the SNL Church Lady who used to say, "How conveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenient..."

#19     Aug 7, 2007
  10. Excellent point magna, plus people try to say that the reason everyone is getting on bonds is because he is black yet, mark mcguire, who was (i believe) a very nice person, interviewed well, always jovial, just had his statue which was supposed to go up in front of the cards stadium taken down, and i would be willing to bet he will never make the hall of fame, the reason everyone (in terms of media and overall fan population ) did not want bonds to win the home run title was not becasue he was black it was because he was a fucking douchebag.

Anyways who cares hopefully A-rod beats his ass, idimagine that would really chap bonds ass.

#20     Aug 7, 2007