Don't Traders Know How To Short Markets?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cubsguy81, May 20, 2010.

1. Why are there so many photos on the WSJ and Marketwatch of traders on the floor or on desks looking depressed at the market on big down days like today.

Don't they know how to short or go long ETFs that have a short bias and make money?

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

Imagine that WSJ ran an article with a photo of floor traders/brokers/market makers with big grins on their faces during a major sell off day.

How would that make you feel, as an investor while reading that article?

3. fusionz

fusionz

Lol, it would be quite funny to show some smiling faces during a crash :D :D:D

4. GG1972

GG1972

Who knows the treachery in these markets-but I can promise you one thing if you profit big during a down run they'll look real closely at you and depending on severity of the downturn the whiplash will be equal in propotion.

5. Borsellino is a famous bear in the pit. He's meant to have done pretty well and 'they' didn't do nothing to him. And who are 'they'meant to be anyhow?

6. a) The general public don't know they can make money shorting the market.
    b) The leftist anti-capitalist Marxist media want to show the world how bad free markets are.

7. spindr0

spindr0

Everyone knows that shorting the market entails unlimited risk !!!

:eek: :D

8. OKAY... everyone should go and Google what the people on the NYSE floor do.... they are not traders like the ones posting on this site... myself included who only trade with a couple 100k. You honestly think you know more than these people concerning shorting the market??? doubtful

9. I thought they were actors hired by MSNBC for the camera. Isn't everything traded electronically these days?

10. When you're talking AAPL, yes. When you're talking SPY, no. You're a dummy.

#10     May 21, 2010