Don't shoot me: Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Completenewbee, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Ok. I'm a complete newbie to all this willing to learn a lot. Just hand me the books and I'll read and ('ll keep trying to )understand them.
    But how?

I recently got my university degree in Economics here in Belgium. I' ve read some articles about daytrading and online trading, but it's all kept way to vage as if they want to keep out the newbies.

Where do I start reading? using the software? Like: how can I sell stocks somewhere online and get the money on MY Belgian bankaccount?? I mean EUHM?? you see, I have a LOT of question marks.

Who helps me out?
    Thanks, all of you professionals, that IS what you are huh? ;-)

Martijn.

2. Read as many threads on this site as your eyes can handle.

Go to the books section of this web site and read the top ten rated books.

Then ask some other questions.

3. Oh yeah, if you don't show some balls and stop being afraid to be learning something new, you will be EATEN alive by other posters who have no time to answer questions to someone who has not read a single book and are asking NEWBIE questions. Read, read and don't post again until you can answer this question:
    What is ISLAND?

4. go to the local library and read the daytrading books. but, take a look at daytradinguniversity.com, and ask ken what is the easiest trading strategy to learn and focus there. also see which u.s. online brokers take overseas clients. there is a special application form and tax form for overseas clients. read everything on this site. search "daytrading". visit activetradermag.com, subscribe to the magazine. go to scottrade.com, sign up for their free streamer, enter some stock symbols and watch stocks trade in real-time.
    search s&p 500 and nasdaq 100 for their list of stocks and symbols. you got a lot to do to get off the ground.

5. Make sure you know what the PDT rule is.

6. Hawker

Hawker

A small land surface surrounded by water ??!! :confused:
    :D

7. "What is ISLAND"

that is what you will own when you become rich daytrading isnt it? i seem to remember a tv commercial by etrade i think where a truck driver became rich enough to buy an island just by daytrading.lol

8. Hawker

Hawker

If you really want to take the trading business seriously there's a huge homework you have to do. We must learn and understand the business before we even dream of placing the first trade. Don't be intimidated , trading as any other business has its rules. You can read 50 trading books but it won't help much.Study 3 good books and you can start answering some questions. So don't read books, Study Books. This site is a very good place to start looking for some answers. You can find here a lot of information regarding books , software, brokerage services etc.Try to keep focused in your goal of markets understanding first, don't rush or pushing yourself to ride the trading excitement wave.Take your time and dedication. Keep in mind that you have to crawl before you can walk. This is not Nintendo or Xbox stuff where you lose nothing more than a bet with yours friends . Trading is a serious craft where you can lose heavy cash quickly. So don't throw away your money .Prepare yourself as good as you can and be ready and willing to pay for your tuition as part of the learning process. There's a long list of books out there , personally I think every book has some value, however not all the trading books are good books to start. Just to crank your engines look for some written on psychology of trading in the first place because that's the most important issue in trading . For beginners there's a book on the Getting Started series : Getting Started in Online Day Trading by Kassandra Bentley although is a very simple book it can give you some initial ideas about the trading matter.You can hit also the classic Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, and the Dr.Alexander Elder books : Trading for a Living and Come into My Trading Room. John Murphy book Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets is a good classic book in the technicals and Technical Analysis of the Stock Trends by Edwards & Magee as well . Those gonna keep you busy for a while and out of trouble . :D As other replies say : Do your research ,Do your homework .

Good Luck. :)

9. Phreedm

Phreedm

John Murphy's "Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets" and some books by Steve Nison about Japanese Candlesticks.

10. nkhoi

nkhoi

psychology / newbie don't go toghether.

#10     Aug 15, 2003