Don't risk your money on myths

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Murray Ruggiero, Aug 10, 2011.

Do you use backtesting ?

1. I don't know how to do it.

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I think backtesting is a fraud

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I use it for simple systems but not my chart analysis

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I would not trade anything without testing it

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Argent

Argent

What is it, Jack? Afraid that you'll catch stupidity from talking to me? From your flash post I saw non-stationarity, one of my favorite issues and the bane of market modellers, but OOD? Didn't get that deference.

#31     Aug 13, 2011
  2. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Wow, I have lost control of this thread. I really planned on teaching something. I will need to think of a plan to post here and teach something without it getting sidetracked like this.

I don't mind a little sidetracking, but when this happens it makes it hard to follow real context because a teaching post might be 3 pages from the orginal reference post and nothing in between is on topic.

#32     Aug 13, 2011
  3. Argent

Argent

I am sure that as a sponsor you can get tight moderation. Ask them to asswipe this one and forge ahead.

#33     Aug 13, 2011
  4. I can count on one hand the ideas that have value, so, I'll share mine if you'll share yours?

#34     Aug 13, 2011
  5. baro-san

baro-san

Any poll should have an option "others".

I believe that:
    • not everything can be back tested
    • not everything that passes back testing will pass forward testing
    • some back testing might help in refining or discarding some ideas

#35     Aug 13, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

I already did. Your turn.

#36     Aug 13, 2011
  7. kut2k2

kut2k2

Maybe the lesson to learn here is to stop waiting so long between your posts. If you're going to start off with a promise to present something, why give the trolls a chance to threadjack before you present it?

#37     Aug 14, 2011
  8. We were talking about ideas on this site? You haven't identified anything.

1) Jack Hershey's Method in Wealth Lab Pro. The code is available on the site. Run on .SPX Data
    2) Price Physics. There isn't any other theory better at explaining market movement than this.
    3) My writings on pairs trading.

#38     Aug 14, 2011
  9. Argent

Argent

So the voice of The Fly pleading "Help meeeeeee! Help meeeeee! I'm stuck beteen a Fib and a Dow didn't qualify as an idea?

#39     Aug 14, 2011
  10. Ideas must be articulated enough so that they can be tested. Fib and a dow is not one of those, and I'm sure you'd agree.

#40     Aug 14, 2011