Don't risk your money on myths

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Murray Ruggiero, Aug 10, 2011.

Do you use backtesting ?

1. I don't know how to do it.

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I think backtesting is a fraud

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I use it for simple systems but not my chart analysis

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I would not trade anything without testing it

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Samsara

Samsara

I actually like Murray: he's put serious sweat equity into his product, and he markets it in a straightforward, transparent manner while contributing to some discussion with actual system dev content. Raises the midpoint, while the LCD always tries to pull it down.

Did not see the silver thread, but entirely predictable.

But there's not really any altruism on this site (as you know), particularly given the ideological slant of the majority. No one gives away winning strategies, and for good reason. The closest approximation is ego projection: you see someone who thinks like you do, who shares similar thought processes, and you want to nudge them in the right direction. Or posting "the truth" straight up seeking acknowledgment and praise. So it's irrational to critique a mass of people who operate in pure self interest: no one expects a winning system explained and is rightfully skeptical of stealth marketing when they see claims to one.

Not to hijack Murray's thread here any further; will refrain from off-topic talk.

#21     Aug 13, 2011
  2. Argent

Argent

Moderation can easily obliterate everything past the first response and give Murray his virginity back.

I have only four objectives in posting on ET:

to advocate trading simplisaty

to debunk frawd

to poke fun at pompocity

and to relieve myself of the constant stream of lysdexic puns running through my head and pouring out of my mouth like a mental sewar.

I have utterly no remourse, because ET is already a mental souwer.

#22     Aug 13, 2011
  3. If you are going to try and look intelligent, the least you could do is learn how to spell:D

#23     Aug 13, 2011
  4. Samsara

Samsara

Unlike Argent (which I'm sure annoys him to no end), I'm one of the few people who maintains the unpopular position that you do understand price and volume behavior quite well, Jack.

Regardless, I go my own way, according to my own skills to read market movement. And I have seen many other ways that are statistically-based that work as well. I simply disagree that there is only one way to skin a cat.

I remain an omnivore of ideas, while refining what works quite well for me.

#24     Aug 13, 2011
  5. Samsara

Samsara

He does that on purpose, which inadvertently creates humor from comments like yours. If you'd had a knack for observing things you probably would have figured that out a while back.

#25     Aug 13, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

I am missing something. Did this candy bar post and then pull it? You and he must have a history. Not many people can be called "quaint" any more.

#26     Aug 13, 2011
  7. Argent

Argent

Low humor often goes below the heads of the dull-witted.

#27     Aug 13, 2011
  8. I only come to see what you Yahoo's are saying for comedy reasons. There is never anything of substance posted on these forums. I only come here for a laugh when I am bored.

#28     Aug 13, 2011
  9. Samsara

Samsara

That's odd, you're right.

At any rate, I promised I'd stop being off-topic here for the vendor's sake. When random deletions happen, you never know if you're pissing the mods off, given the capriciousness of some here (honestly mean no offense M: I'm coming around to you).

Last OT post in this thread for me.

#29     Aug 13, 2011
  10. Argent

Argent

I think you are being a bit harsh. It is possible to find ideas which have trading value here, but it is as surprising as running into chewing gum stuck to the underside of your dinner table. If you think this place is dumb, how do you rate ZeroHedge?

#30     Aug 13, 2011