Don't risk your money on myths

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Murray Ruggiero, Aug 10, 2011.

Do you use backtesting ?

1. I don't know how to do it.

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I think backtesting is a fraud

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I use it for simple systems but not my chart analysis

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I would not trade anything without testing it

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. No, it doesn't. More like people don't waste their time to learn one way or the other. Fibonacci like the Gann Fann is a useless drawing tool. Where to draw a retracement is subjective, just as the size of the fan.

#11     Aug 12, 2011
  2. Don't know anyone that uses them, or even heard of anybody that uses them.

#12     Aug 12, 2011
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

Still waiting for this.

I respectfully request that the rest of you take your arguments elsewhere, then maybe we'll get some inputs from Murray on what he promised. Thanks.

#13     Aug 13, 2011
  4. Samsara

Samsara

Understood, thank you for the information.

#14     Aug 13, 2011
  5. Are you Arthur Deco come back to life with a bad attitude?

Just asking.

#15     Aug 13, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

My accustomed style of discourse is semi-polite. But those two quarrelling lovers only respond to mother's severest scolding. I am merely repeating to them what my own sainted mother used to say to me. They could easily arrange to meet and fight and and kiss and fondle and make up and clean up and repeat. Or they could put each other on ignore. But nooooooo. That's no fun. They have to fight like two fat loud old washerwomen vying for a favored spot on the river. To be clear, I think that Murray is full of it. But I want to hear what he has to say. I might learn something, though I doubt it. But I double-damn guarantee you that SOMEBODY here WILL learn from him. So I said STFU.

#16     Aug 13, 2011
  7. You only have history as a guide... I model my risk by backtesting price action but I understand that "black swans" can occur. Backtesting suits better as a guide then to actually develop specific strategies. Certainly history repeats itself but the variations can be immense.

#17     Aug 13, 2011
  8. Argent

Argent

Good thoughts. But I disagree about backtesting. IMO there are events which repeat immutably. By that I mean there is some stationarity in the markets.

#18     Aug 13, 2011
  9. Samsara

Samsara

You beat me to it apparently. I had the same guess.

Hopefully. I'm all for increasing the humor coefficient of a site I waste way too much time on.

#19     Aug 13, 2011
  10. Argent

Argent

If your Deco is a funny fellow we don't need him here. My objective is to reduce the humor and increase the useful trading content. Unfortunately I can do little about the unintended humor, which is rampant. Elsehere here I posted a killer system for trading silver. The response? The thread deteriorated into the usual irrelvance to the IP. I confess that I helped some once I realized that you can't even GIVE somethoing away here. Like Murray is trying to. Of course EVERYBODY here already has fabulous winning systems. That's why they all have the copulous leisure time to trash serious posters.

#20     Aug 13, 2011