Don't do this...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bronks, Jul 3, 2003.

1. bronks

bronks

I shorted the NQ Monday evening looking for some downside action the next day. I did this before going to the other side of the island that same evening with the understanding of being able to plug online via my cousins laptop.
    This place is miles from nowhere.

I get up in the morning, turn on the tube and so far so good, market's tanking, I'm happy. I've become pretty decent lately at letting my positions run and since the gap wasn't filled, I went surfing. Uh Huh.

Since I don't use hard stops overnight, I didn't have my ass covered when she started turning. NAZ @ -18 points. Bust out the laptop. oops can't dial out as the phone is long distance challenged. NAZ @ -15. That's OK, quick find local ISP, sign up, cool. NAZ @ -08... no way. Get on IB's website, NAZ -02. Your shittin me. Hurry download java applet. Dropped connection, NAZ IS NOW GREEN!! NOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!! Re-connect, IB website, market up 7 points. Panic. Connection lost again. Extreme panic. NAZ up 12. Screw it , call help desk... can't dial long distance (blocked). Numbness sets in. Nasdaq closes up 17 and some change with my short position still open. Closed position later that day with an additional 3 point loss after hours for the cherry on top.

I think the point I was trying to make is self explanatory.

No, I didn't have my cell phone with me, and my cousin was in town with the car.

2. ask the neighbor, or anyone within 1 mile radius. probably hundreds of people around you could have borrowed a phone from for a few bucks cash (or free). think outside the box.