Dont bother with either laptops or "gaming" computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retaildaytrader, Nov 16, 2010.

1. I just assembled a new machine. Decided on an i7 970 chip, 12G RAM, SSD hard drives, massive power supply and back up, and a great motherboad. What makes everyone laugh, is that I only spent $100.00 on the video card. I'm a trader, not a gamer - whatever that means ;)

#31     Nov 22, 2010
  2. I own several laptops and have never had an overheating issue. Purchase quality goods and you get what you pay for.

#32     Nov 22, 2010
  3. I've had three apple laptops, the last two Powerbooks in the aluminum case (which I had thought to aid in temp control).

The problem is that I was constantly running the chip to 105C, which is way beyond the correct operating temp for long term life of a computer and its components.

I've never recorded my tower going over 58C, and it normally runs at 45-48C on a full load with all 6/12 cores running 80%+.

Not to say that all laptops will do this, but it's a lot of power consumption for such a tight area, physics applies.

#33     Nov 22, 2010
  4. I have a DELL LATITUDE D830. I put Bluetack to elevate the peg-legs about a centimeter or two, and ever since then I have had no problem with overheating.

#34     Nov 22, 2010