Dont bother with either laptops or "gaming" computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retaildaytrader, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Reduced heat dissipation
    Hard drives dissipate high levels of failure-inducing heat due to the parts necessary to operate the hard drive (such as the spinning platter). In contrast, SSDs produce little-to-no measurable heat because they have no moving parts, thus helping keep notebooks operating cooler.

#21     Nov 21, 2010
  2. external fans help out a lot with the laptops

laptops are just so much more ease of moving around

#22     Nov 21, 2010
  3. Bob111

Bob111

told ya..have nothing to do with gaming\high end PC or laptops or "stay away" from laptops...BUT! i've also mentioned for a reason that cleaning must be done PROPERLY. sucking out air\dust using the vacuum might work,but it will not going to clean up your PC\laptop completely. the proper way is to blow in,not out. BUT! outside of the house,with the great caution,using high power vacuum cleaner. like shop vac or something powerful, like rainbow. the proper way is to remove side panel from PC or bottom panel from laptop and carefully,piece by piece clean the parts. you must hold moving parts such a fan on CPU or PSU or video cards,because if you blow on them-they will spin pretty f* g fast and can became damaged. what i personally do-i hold them with plastic fork or knife,while blowing the air on those parts.
    if you planning to do this outside-make sure that it's not too cold,because if it is-it can create condensation on the parts. same thing, if you do this with compressor-make sure there is no condensation inside the tank. twice a year-spring and fall-and no problem whatsoever.

#23     Nov 21, 2010
  4. Bob111

Bob111

they do. not to mention that they have to work in closed metal box...normal temp for HD should be below 40C. if you can keep it below 40-it will last forever. i have few old ones from like 90's-they work just fine. SSD is the way to go. no heat,little power consumption,fast,no moving parts at all.

#24     Nov 21, 2010
  5. jprad

jprad

If all you've dealt with are consumer class laptops then, yes, what you describe is pretty much the norm.

Not so with business class laptops, especially the ones that are meant as mobile workstations. They're quiet, don't generate that much heat and once you slap an external display, keyboard and mouse on it you've got a dual display workstation that's got the added benefit of ease of mobility.

BTW, that battery that you think is a pain in the ass is actually a lifesaver.

Coupled with the UPS for my router and cable modem I get up to 2 hours so that the power company can sort things out before I have to bail out during the trading day.

Only once in the past 4 years did I lose the cable connection when I lost power. In that case all it took was a simple push of a button to pop my machine out of its minidock. Five minutes later I was in the neighborhood Dunkin Donuts using their free WiFi to close out my daytrades.

Can't do that with a desktop...

#25     Nov 21, 2010
  6. jprad

jprad

The 2.5" drives in a laptop simply do not have the rotational speed or mass to generate the kind of heat that a 3.5" 10K or 15K drive will generate.

The 7200rpm 500GB drive that's in my machine is, at most, warm after a full days use.

#26     Nov 21, 2010
  7. From my experience, when the electricity is out at my house because of a grid outage, my cable signals are also dead. I presume it is because the cable headend equipment does not have UPS backup when their commercial power is out. The phone line, however, still carries dial-tone. So if you have a DSL modem and router that might be all right.

#27     Nov 22, 2010
  8. I have a lenovo T500. 1.5 yrs old. I do 3d modeling software on it when I have to. The only drawback is screen size. A docking station fixed that. I could run this thing all day on top of a bed quilt, and it wouldnt complain or overheat.

Windows 7 is superstable on it. Vista sucked.

#28     Nov 22, 2010
  9. Or use a Mac. No overheating, and the desktop is about as slimline as you can get, it's actually pretty easy to transport in hand luggage on planes.

#29     Nov 22, 2010
  10. Rob227

Rob227

#30     Nov 22, 2010