Dont bother with either laptops or "gaming" computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retaildaytrader, Nov 16, 2010.

1. bespoke

bespoke

i think the OP may have just copied and pasted that post from some 2005 article

btw my thinkpad is on 98% of the time and it's only overheated once cause i had it on my bed and all the vents were blocked by my blanket while i was watching a movie

#11     Nov 16, 2010
  2. the OP is chock full of good info learn a lot from him :D

#12     Nov 16, 2010
  3. You are correct about the Lenovo (old IBM) Thinkpads. I have never owned one, but have seen people operate those out in 85+ degree weather. The fan would be going strong on those Thinkpads but they would not overheat.

I have a HDX18 T9900 based laptop. I followed some advice which seems to be working today. That advice was to take a vacuum cleaner to all the vents and the top of the keyboard. I also turned the maximum processor state to 85%. I have not heard the fan surge once today. Many times in the past the fan surged like I was really doing something, but I wasnt. So I take it that the dust removal and reduced processor state is helping it keep cool.

The Thinkpad has one huge vent and large fan that keeps it cool.

So the cleaning and reduced processor state has made my machine run that much smoother today.

#13     Nov 16, 2010
  4. If you regularly clean the heat sink of laptop, you won't face any problems. Dust tends to accumulate there which blocks flow of air causing heat up.

Refer to your laptop guide or contact any service tech to do that if you want.

Best,
    Max

#14     Nov 17, 2010
  5. I work frequently in Asia without airconditioner so overheating is a real problem. What locals do is to make a rolls from the aluminum foil and put it under the battery where the heat is generated. problem solved for a $ 1.

#15     Nov 18, 2010
  6. In Calgary, all you have to do to keep your laptop cool is open the window!! It'll be fine in no time.

Of course, YOU may need to wear a heavy coat.:)

#16     Nov 21, 2010
  7. Just wanted to update you guys. I took my vacuum cleaner and put it on all the open vents going over them completely. I also vacuumed the keyboard thoroughly. After that, I have not had any overheating problems. The cooling fan does not come on that much anymore.

The point about the Lenovo computers is valid. If you want a reliable computer, then I would say to go with the Lenovos. However, a slimline computer cant be beat either.

#17     Nov 21, 2010
  8. Laptops suck for trading over long periods.who wants to look down all day at a tiny screen?not to mention the noise?

They are ok for quick times you want to ck mkt or something in the middle of the night or if your travelling. But there is no way they come close to a full blown monitor setup.

And lets not forget having to recharge the f'in battery all the time.

You might want to stick an SSD in your laptop. It really helps to keep the fan off fwiw.

#18     Nov 21, 2010
  9. Why? Do regular disk drives generate a lot of heat?

#19     Nov 21, 2010
  10. spd

spd

I trade multiple insturments on a high end Sony Vaio laptop and it has never flinched. Not even once. And I usually have other stuff running as well, iTunes, etc...

As you can guess, I Alt + Tab like a motherfucker.

#20     Nov 21, 2010