Don't attempt to build positions intraday at Tradestation

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by wjk, Feb 11, 2009.

1. wjk

wjk

from IB:
    http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/margin.php?p=d&ib_entity=llc

from examples at this page.

"On Monday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. Later on that same day, another 500 shares of XYZ are purchased. In after hours trading on Monday, 1000 shares of XYZ are sold. This is considered to be 1-day trade."

2 entries same day, 1 exit, 1 day trade.

#21     Feb 11, 2009
  2. wjk

wjk

From IB

"-On Monday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On Tuesday, another 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On Wednesday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are sold. None of these are considered to be day trades."

#22     Feb 11, 2009
  3. wjk

wjk

Let's just simplify it. Here they all are. I trust IB's interpretation over all other brokers. My argurment is supported within these examples. As I indicated, brokers have their own rules and can do whatever they want. I don't believe I am "confused" as you indicated. If I am, then so is IB.

Examples of Day Trades
    -On Monday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. Later on that same day, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are sold. This is considered to be a day trade.

-On Wednesday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. Later on that same day, 500 shares of XYZ stock are sold. This is considered to be a day trade.

-On Monday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. Later on that same day, another 500 shares of XYZ are purchased. In after hours trading on Monday, 1000 shares of XYZ are sold. This is considered to be 1-day trade.

-On Monday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On Tuesday, another 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. Later on Tuesday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are sold. This is considered to be 1-day trade.

-On Thursday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased in pre-market. In after hours trading on Thursday, 200 shares of XYZ stock are sold. This is considered to be a day trade.

-On Monday, customer sells short 10 YXX September 2005 90 calls and simultaneously buys 10 YXX December 2005 95 calls (combination order type). Later on Monday, customer buys back 5 YXX September 2005 90 calls and sells 5 YXX December 2005 95 calls for a profit. This is considered to be 2 day trades (one day trade for each leg of the spread).

-On Thursday, customer buys 500 shares of YXZ stock. Later on Thursday, customer sells 1500 shares of YXZ stock (reversal creates new short position). On Friday, customer purchases 1000 shares of YXZ stock. This would be considered to be 1-day trade.

Non-Day Trade Examples:
    -On Monday, 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On Tuesday, another 500 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On Wednesday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are sold. None of these are considered to be day trades.

-On Thursday, customer buys 500 shares of YZZ stock. On Friday, customer sells 500 shares of YZZ stock. Later on Friday, customer buys 500 shares of YZZ stock. This is not considered to be a day trade.

-On Friday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock are purchased. On the following Monday, 1000 shares of XYZ stock is sold. This is not considered to be a day trade.

#23     Feb 11, 2009
  4. what about TradeSignal5 http://www.tradesignal.com/Default.aspx
    i am a user of this software, it is very populair in germany
    this way you still could use easy language skripting
    but would be limited to IB as your broker

#24     Feb 11, 2009
  5. jprad

jprad

And, apparently, over FINRA's as well.

That said, there's really nothing left to discuss here.

#25     Feb 11, 2009
  6. wjk

wjk

Agreed

#26     Feb 11, 2009
  7. Mario66

Mario66

yea thats the way to go. lightspeed will give you esignal charts for free if you do 250k shares a month.

#27     Feb 11, 2009
  8. You ever notice all the noobs always 'miss great entries'.

There hasn't been a Great Entry since Kennedy slept with Monroe.

[​IMG]

#28     Feb 12, 2009
  9. LongArm

LongArm

The four or more round-trips in 5 days must be DAYTRADES (the opening and closing of a position on the SAME DAY). If you're suggesting overnight trades matter as far as the PDT rules, you're wrong.

A previous day's buys never count against the PDT count.

You seem to be misinterpreting the FINRA rule, particularly the exception (a.), but it's actually pretty simple:

All this means is that (i) opening and closing a position on the same day is a daytrade, whereas (a.) closing an overnight position and then opening a new position in the same stock on the same day is NOT. Open-close, yes. Close-open, no.

There's nothing in IB's interpretation of the rules that's in conflict with FINRA's.

#29     Feb 12, 2009
  10. wjk

wjk

There is a difference between a missed entry and a denied entry. Define it as you wish, but in my book their are two types of entries. There are great entries (meet all my criteria, and the only acceptable entry), and shitty entries (don't meet all my criteria, never considered, chased, etc.) Hardly the actions of a noob, but no matter. It is a relative term.

I was denied my entry in my <25k account on a play that met all my criteria because of a daytrading rule that is not really a daytrading rule, but a brokerage rule.

#30     Feb 12, 2009