Don's Openings and More for 2006

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Don Bright, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnx

mnx

good start to the year!

19 fills on 126 stocks. (5 longs, 14 shorts) (2 long wins, 9 short wins)

36802 shares

net pnl: $1275 highest unrealized was around $1600

biggest win CMX $590 (1000 shares)
    biggest loss KSS -$500 (1000 shares)

looks like I barely beat Don today, although he (and basically everyone else) were much more efficient....

good trading this year to all.

Since I don't have opg orders, I lost an necessary 738 between KSS, HON and WMB... that sux... If I had canceled b4 I got those fills I would have missed out on CMX which didn't open until 9:31:23... whatever, I hope to have OPG orders soon...

mnx

#11     Jan 3, 2006
  2. mnx

mnx

got a question.

How importing is the beta value in stock selection. I was inputting betas into my spreadsheet today and I notcied some of them were kinda high (3.3) and a few were negative.

Should I lose the stocks with negative betas? And remove anything over with a beta over 2.5 or so?

The criteria I used to find the stocks that I use was a value between $15 and $60, average volume greater than 2.5mil. It gave me a list of 126 stocks...

Thanks a lot!

mnx

#12     Jan 3, 2006
  3. 1 long fill, +220 net

My highest beta stock is about 1.5. I think its just a matter of your style and risk tolerance. Try them out on small size and see how you do.

#13     Jan 4, 2006
  4. Wouldn't those negative beta stocks do well when the market is moving lower? Are you only long or you do shorts as well?

#14     Jan 4, 2006
  5. Well, it seems that I have to reconfigure the new program a bit more. My closes didn't go in, and like a dummy I waited too long for the automation to kick in for the stops losses as well. Still ahead for the year, but down $860 today, primarily ADM.

Having "smarter people than me" fixing the program...back at ya tomorrow.

Don

#15     Jan 4, 2006
  6. 10 fills / 1000 shares each

4 short / 6 long +780.00

- .7 / + .8

max profit @ 8:51 cst...3354.00

gotta learn to wait...blocked 12 out of 94

should have let the brokers run more...oh well....:(

#16     Jan 4, 2006
  7. lescor

lescor

Two relatively busy days to start the year, both nicely green.

As far as betas, they make a very small difference most days, a couple pennies. Since the beta is multiplied by the size of the gap, they become more significant on big gap days. I calculate my own beta #'s over a 6 month time period. My highest beta stock is about 2.5, lowest about .3

If you ignored it all together I don't think it'd make a significant difference over the long run.

#17     Jan 4, 2006
  8. mnx

mnx

got killed today... finished down about 500 (was down around 1000)...

COP decided to tank on me I made a chunck back when it came back up... made 200 on it in the end...

PFE lost me $650

COH lost me $200 or so...

Looks like I missed the opening print on GPS, FPL, COP and COH... i would have been close to positive if I hadn't got hammer on COH and let COP distract me... I should have cut PFE earlier, but I didn't have a close eye on it... it seemed to just gap up a couple times on me...

thanks for answering my questions everyone...

matt

#18     Jan 4, 2006
  9. joema

joema

5 fills out of 17 stocks

4 long ,1 short

bls, jpm,nem,txn , which were all winners to me and made about +0.15 for me

HD -0.20 and turned me red

:(

#19     Jan 5, 2006
  10. joema

joema

about the beta

to mnx

where do you get the beta, i rarely got my beta >2, except for AMD.

to all

how can i calculate my own beta using EXCEL or something else?i wanna customize the beta but i don't make it with Esignal, it seems like i must do it myself.

any information would be helpful, thanks in advance

#20     Jan 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.