Donor Advised Fund - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by truetype, May 27, 2018.

1. truetype

truetype

I'm looking for a DAF with low or no fees. I would be funding it with ~$100k to start. Regrettably the big online brokers (Fido, Schwab, Vanguard) charge 60 bips / year, which strikes me as ridiculous for the service of writing a couple of checks.

From Web-searching, there are some off-the-run choices such as Nature Conservancy, which charges no fees but requires 20% of the distributions be to them. Also University of Rochester recently set up a DAF, but I have no affiliation with them.

There must be other, better, alternatives, given the explosion of interest in DAFs over the past few years. I would appreciate any specific suggestions. Please, though, don't reply with general info about, or editorial comments on the merits of, DAFs. Thanks.

2. Isn't a Charitable Trust a cheaper alternative? You could just open an account for it at any broker.

3. truetype

truetype

I didn't do a good enough job of specifying what I'm looking for -- specific suggestions of low/no- cost DAFs, rather than general remarks on DAFs or other vehicles or structures such as trusts.