Don’t DEFEAT yourself before the trade is over!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Spectra, May 12, 2007.

1. At about 2:15 PM 5/10/07 we broadcast our last trade of the day. It was a call to short the market.

Unlike a few of the earlier ones which worked right away, this one
    took a little time

I have deleted the members names to protect the innocent, hehe, but
    you can see how people can start negative images about their own
    trades.

14:15:21 {AlexLW} [**] SELL SHORT ALERT. USE STOP MANAGEMENT PER
    GUIDELINES [**] ! !

14:17:35 {prospero:} don’t like it
    14:18:54 {prospero:} staying on the sidelines until I see a clear
    signal, im confused here
    14:30:13 {prospero:} what if it brake and go higher
    14:30:40 {prospero:} this may be a fakeout
    14:30:49 {prospero:} Help me Alex, I don’t see it yet
    14:33:32 {prospero:}sad thing is that stop will take away
    the whole green, meaning i went too light on winners

Then a couple of traders even went against the signal:

14:45:45 {prospero:} long 98
    14:49:39 {prospero:} long 299
    14:49:21 {prospero:sounds like i should bail ;p
    14:53:24 {prospero:1 out BE
    15:00:44 {prospero:} SHORTING
    15:00:49 {prospero:CajunSniper} finally doing something here
    15:00:55 {prospero:CajunSniper} long? we were already short
    15:01:30 {AlexLW} [xx] NEWER TRADERS CONSIDER EXIT BALANCE AT
    MARKET. [XX] !

Only a few traders were able to ignore the pessimism:

15:01:46 {prospero:)+8 :)
    15:01:50 {prospero:CajunSniper} wow calls dead on today.
    15:01:53 {prospero:} +15 flat
    15:09:21 {prospero:} covered 32 cars for +20
    15:45:48 {prospero:} omg I close down and looks like I missed
    another great short

The trade was a huge success. I don’t make this stuff up. The markets don’t defeat traders.

Traders defeat traders.

I think I may log off the next time many room members begin to
    question their own trading positions. You put a trade on and a
    stop. Then let the market run its course.

It is the doubt that causes traders to abandon decent trades that
    are not stopped out way before hitting reasonable profit targets.
    They reason, “Since the trade is not going to work, I am lucky to
    make 3 points.

Alex L. Wasilewski
    Co-Founder & Head Trader
    Trades That Work
    http://www.puretick.com
    Recent trading results: http://www.puretick.com/trkrecord.html
    1-877-GOLONG1 (1-877-465-6641)

2. Damn, those are some good calls you're making. I had better subscribe to puretick. The only way I can lose money is if I get in my own way and don't follow the signals!

3. you joke but thats atleast 40% of our users. They can't really follow anything without jumping around. Thats ok. We're here to help um.

4. How can you expect them to? It's hard enough for someone who has developed his own method to rigorously follow it and not let his emotions interfere with his signal taking; at least in that case, he has his own strength of conviction and belief that his method which he created has a strong, statistical edge which will make him profitable. Taking signals with your own money which you don't have an exceedingly strong reason to believe in is not normal human - or trader - behavior. If you want to get a better rate of traders trading your signals exactly as you intend them to be traded, perhaps you can take efforts to make sure that all subscribers to your service have a very, very strong reason to believe in the validity and profitability of your calls - one suggestion might be an audited track record of your or Alex's account statement. My hunch is that doing as I suggested would be a hinderance to your service's profitability; as long as you can trade, you don't have to sell signals, and as long as you can convince people who buy your signals that the only reason you're not producing millionaires is because no one follows the signals, you can continue to churn away newbies while you teach them to trade with skewed risk/reward and to enter trades without a strong understanding of why the trade can be expected to work. I'm not going off topic here; this thread is a puretick promotion disguised as a rational discussion on trading psychology.

5. QUOTE]Quote from FXTraderWill:

How can you expect them to? It's hard enough for someone who has developed his own method to rigorously follow it and not let his emotions interfere with his signal taking; at least in that case, he has his own strength of conviction and belief that his method which he created has a strong, statistical edge which will make him profitable. Taking signals with your own money which you don't have an exceedingly strong reason to believe in is not normal human - or trader - behavior. If you want to get a better rate of traders trading your signals exactly as you intend them to be traded, perhaps you can take efforts to make sure that all subscribers to your service have a very, very strong reason to believe in the validity and profitability of your calls - one suggestion might be an audited track record of your or Alex's account statement. My hunch is that doing as I suggested would be a hinderance to your service's profitability; as long as you can trade, you don't have to sell signals, and as long as you can convince people who buy your signals that the only reason you're not producing millionaires is because no one follows the signals, you can continue to churn away newbies while you teach them to trade with skewed risk/reward and to enter trades without a strong understanding of why the trade can be expected to work. I'm not going off topic here; this thread is a puretick promotion disguised as a rational discussion on trading psychology. [/QUOTE]

Well f'in said!

6. If you had one simple answer to that question then you'd be a millionaire yourself. How? By building their confidence. They see other traders succeeding in the room. They get personal guidance, calls and lessons from Alex. We put a lot of time in to the guys. Ultimately most will fail. Some will not and we can be proud of that fact.

CajunSniper / Puretick.com Administrator-Trader

7. well, im short the whole damn kit an kabootle... and i didnt even need your service!

does this mean ive "made it" ?

lol ;)

8. feb2865

feb2865

Spectra/Alex

just curious, what is your risk/reward ratio??

I heard you use 40 ticks stop-loss

what's the profit target?? or do you scale out??

don't mean to criticize by any means, just to be clear

thanks

9. I disagree with those who think you can only follow their own signals (I think it is almost a complete waste of time for most traders). There are a few good advisories out there.

But I agree with FXTraderWill (and it has been suggested before), that there are several auditing sites of which you must be aware by now, but you seem to dance around the subject. Why do you avoid independent? It takes no extra time, and it seems you would be willing to validate yourself.

That is enough to keep experienced traders away from you.

Few chatrooms and few advisories work. It is surprising you continue to evade the subject. This in itself brings into question your whole operation.

And of course, there will not be a direct answer to this. There never is.

10. Each trigger call alex makes uses a dynamic stop based on S&R. They usually range from 11 to 20 pts depending on volitatility.

There is a swing trade I play called MaxSpan which uses a 40 pt stop. I'd say 15% of the room takes that one because they are uncomfortable with the stop. Today it made over 100 pts. Starting something new can be scary. I know.

#10     May 16, 2007