Donald Trump Is A Birther

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 17, 2011.

1. If anybody was wondering Trumps suit was thrown out

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0311/Is_Trump_rich.html

Is Trump rich?

Donald Trump said ludicrous things about Obama's birth (yes, people have interviewed his kindergarten classmates) this morning, and also this:

[Part] of the beauty of me is that I'm very rich. So if I need $600 million, I can put $600 million myself. That's a huge advantage.

Really? Well, Trump once called Trump's net worth "one of the great mysteries of the business world, and the touchy Trump sued the estimable Tim O'Brien for pegging his net worth, in a 2005 book, as low as $150 million, when Trump was claiming it was $4 billion. The suit was thrown out.

And net worth is a tricky thing: Trump's share in The Apprentice, for instance, is quite valuable, and he reportedly owns parts of real estate projects. But those aren't necessarily the kind of liquid assets from which you can withdraw, or even easily borrow, $600 million.

A major obstacle to Trump's running, my colleague Maggie Haberman has pointed out, is that at some point he'd actually be required to disclose his assets -- something he's spent his entire career trying not to do.

#21     Mar 17, 2011
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

That's exactly why I bet he would NEVER run. And by running I don't just mean a silly announcement, but actually filing papers and have a background check.

He is using this coy game of "I might run" for PR, nothing else.....

P.S.: One can file papers in only one state and call himself officially a presidential candidate.

#22     Mar 18, 2011
  3. Gosh I hope you're wrong. I'd love to see him in a presidential candidacy debate with, say, Jerry Springer as the moderator.

#23     Mar 18, 2011
  4. Hello

Hello

It would be fitting because Obama would also be on the other end of the debate. it would be Obama, Trump, and Springer, three empty headed celebrities debating for the presidency.

#24     Mar 18, 2011
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

That tells you more about the American public, than the candidates.

Shall I point out that all 3 are successfull businessmen??? (Obama will make plenty after the presidency)

I actually like The Donald. It would be fun to watch him running and debating Palin, but I don't think he would ever put up any of HIS own money. He is smarter than that...

#25     Mar 18, 2011
  6. Hello

Hello

All three of them are succesful businessmen because of their celebrity. I doubt any of them would be able to start from scratch and run a business without name recognition.

I agree the debates would be hilarious to watch though.

#26     Mar 18, 2011
  7. Interesting that you would compare two reality TV personalities with a Constitutional scholar.

#27     Mar 18, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Jerry Springer is a Constitutional scholar? I didn't know that, thanks.

#28     Mar 18, 2011
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

You are wrong about Springer. Beside being a politican first,later he did:

"Springer was hired as a political reporter and commentator on Cincinnati's NBC affiliate, WLWT, which had, at the time, the lowest-rated news program. Later, having been named primary news anchor and Managing Editor, he needed a broadcast "catch phrase" in the model of other great newsmen. With the help of some others at WLWT, he created his signature line: "Take care of yourself, and each other." Within two years he was Cincinnati's number one news anchor, along with partner Norma Rashid, and for five years, the most popular one in the city, garnering ten local Emmy Awards for his nightly commentaries."

Later on his Jerry Springer show:

" The show garnered huge ratings, and lots of attention. By 1998, it was beating Oprah Winfrey in many cities, and was reaching more than 6.7 million viewers."

Not bad for a Polish refugee who was born in a London subway station...

Oh yes: "He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Tulane University in 1965, majoring in political science.He earned a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from Northwestern University in 1968."

"In the mid-1990s, Springer recorded Dr. Talk (Jerry springer album), an album that mostly consisted of country music covers."

#29     Mar 18, 2011
  10. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

Interesting that you would compare a scholar with a Wharton grad with real world work experience.

#30     Mar 18, 2011