Don, whats the word?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Babak, Mar 11, 2002.

1. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

shortboy is doing fair but i wouldn't say spectacular. he's lost last two trades. oh well, maybe he will do better later this year who knows :-|

#11     Mar 12, 2002

2. Amen brother.

I was a commodity broker for 3+ years before quitting to trade full time after putting the final touches on my personal methodology. My ex boss was (and still is) a big-gun guru in the futures biz- editor of a nationally prominent newsletter, author of a well known book, major speaker at conferences all over, etc. etc. etc. When you speak to him on the phone he sounds humble, confident and competent- in short, like a profitable trader who has learned from his experiences. But in reality it's a sham. He has more ego than discipline and couldn't trade his way out of a paper bag. :eek:

It's simple probability- the guys who are making good money trading have no need to brag and no need to sell anything- they stay quiet and trade their own $$$, or they form tight lipped partnerships that are not advertised or known of outside very exclusive circles. I know some Real Players- with a capital R and a capital P- and they could care less about public recognition, in fact as a general rule they abhor it.

If someone is selling some trade related good or service to the average joe, the odds are simply too strong that he is not making a good enough living from his own trading. When good traders are so scarce and hungry capital is so plentiful, why deal with the hassle of pitching product to small fry?

#12     Mar 12, 2002

3. My general rule is to be a silent observer far more than a contributor on boards like this, but I can't resist responding to that comment. If you think you can evaluate a trader in any way based solely on the occurrence of two unprofitable trades, then you have absolutely no clue.

#13     Mar 12, 2002
  4. BillRtnr

BillRtnr

I have been following the "guru" threads & test with interest. I have been day trading and making a profit for a while now. I have been wanting to add some longer holding times to my portfolio. My own attempts to master it weren't too successful, so I was interested in someone who would be good at it just to help me bring this timeframe to my trading. I was looking for a way to put extra money to work but didn't want to get too involved. At the same time I wanted risk to be controlled in a professional manner as I do when daytrading. I took advantage of several offers for free testing made by some services a while ago as this guru challenge was discussed.

When I daytrade I am a fader, most of the time the public is dead wrong. So, thank you all the bashers who draw my attention to these other services. By fading the posters I found the the realitytrader newsletter, which worked very well for me. I liked the videos, and the explanation made sense to me most of the time. Some of the picks didn't set up, but most did. I'd say there 3 stocks that set up a week. I saw one loser during the time I watched. I made money overall on the trades I took. I have been in chatrooms at 3 times the cost that did not do as well. And I did not have to deal with the trades during my trading day. For a C note it would have paid for itself no problem.

To keep it fair, other services were not freak shows, but this one was the most professional. Did you bashers even look at the offerings before flaming?

I'm not interested in another useless war about vendors, but would appreciate more site bashing...perhaps there are more pearls in the rough out there... :)

Here are actual trades I took:
    MRK long 61.19 exit 1/2 62.98 still have 1/2 with trailed stop
    Q long 8.61 still in
    NXTL stop lost .40
    VOD long 18.81 still in

#14     Mar 12, 2002
  5. "Originally posted by GeeTO69
    shortboy is doing fair but i wouldn't say spectacular. he's lost last two trades. oh well, maybe he will do better later this year who knows :-| "

Hope this guy isn't a trader for a living! Or even as a hobby!

#15     Mar 12, 2002
  6. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

FAIR, that's what i say he's doing....nothin' but fair. not getting clobbered but not setting the world on fire either. FAIR...C+

#16     Mar 12, 2002
  7. Since you like to rate performance, how would you rate his overall performance since he started way back in June 1999? Or since January 2000?

If you give him anything lower than an "A", I would ask you to cite 1 person, or mechanism, with a better performance than Shortboy.

If you can't name 1 better track record, then your grading system leaves much to be desired. Sounds like you suffer from "performance envy" to me.

Sam Contari

www.shortboy.com

#17     Mar 12, 2002
  8. C2C

C2C

>If someone is selling some trade related good or service to the >average joe, the odds are simply too strong that he is not >making a good enough living from his own trading. When good >traders are so scarce and hungry capital is so plentiful, why deal >with the hassle of pitching product to small fry?

In my country, being a trader is like being a second class citizen, both socially and economically.
    Economically because a trader pays some very high taxes for everyone else's healthcare and retirement but isnt allowed to benefit from these, socially because if one cant show that he is an employee with a fixed income, he cant get to rent anything, so he needs to buy property each time he relocates (with a 10% tax stamp).

So I do "sell" EOD trades, it looks like I would be doing a "real job" :D .
    I write them every night and label the form with something like :
    "Buy limit XX.XX Stop XX.XX Target XX.XX"
    So that those of the customers unable to connect to the net during opening hours can still get the same results.

So far, the perf is higher than the A rated Shortboy, so I think it can be considered decent...
    (although the comparison does not really stand, I play both long and short sides...)

Finally, it's a lot of lines to argue that someone who sells trades is not necessarily a crook ...

C2

#18     Mar 12, 2002
  9. I just looked at the shortboy.com site and was impressed by the results. However, I think I've got one that blows shortboy away....my opinion anyway. A few weeks ago, realitytrader.com and momentumstockplays.com posted a trial login and password. I followed both sites picks. When momentumstockplays.com discontinued the trial, I signed up for the free trial at the website which expired yesterday. Now, I'm a member. To make a long story short, I've made my YEAR in the last week and a half. On his site, he posts his "past results." Unlike shortboy though, he doesn't post his own trades....only the 1 and 3 day high...he's not a daytrader...but a position trader. Here is the link to the site....and a full page version of this months results....every pick that has triggered from his list is on this list:

http://www.momentumstockplays.com/

Results:

http://www.momentumstockplays.com/MSPresultsIndex.asp

Not trying to bash shortboy cause I've never tried the service...but the results don't compare....so far anyway.

#19     Mar 12, 2002
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

So MomentumStockPlays never had a trade
    that did not make money. All the summaries
    show successful long/shorts..... where are all the
    failed trades that lost money..... the ones
    that did not make further 1 or 3 day highs....

... in summary.... most people question the
    integrity of sites that only post winners!!!

- Greg

#20     Mar 12, 2002