Don Imus should have been fired

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kut2k2, Apr 14, 2007.

1. One other thing Imus did not know is that "nappy headed ho's" is not likely to be used by the educated black middle class. Neither would "nappy headed ho's" be used to describe a bunch of black college women. A "skeezer" or a woman of the hood would more likely be described that way by someone inside the hood, maybe her boyfriend or someone else who might want to send her a message, but with the unspoken understanding that he is still a black homie.
    Imus was out of context and out of his race.

#51     Apr 17, 2007
  2. Cesko

Cesko

#52     Apr 18, 2007
  3. I'm not an Imus fan. He doesn't have a constitutional right to say whatever he wants, any more than Rosie does. His bosses ultimately have to answer for what he says on air and they have the sole right to decide if he is on the air or not.

That said, all this stuff about out of context and out of race strikes me as an obvious double standard, which is the last thing we need to be encouraging in racial matters. Don't we have enough double standards already? Imus could say, and probably should have said, that he was satirizing rappers and the hip hop thugs who have debased black culture. Are blacks above criticism?

He was fired for touching one of the third rails of political correctness, that is, he made fun of blacks. Why try to deny it? Everyone knows if he had said the Tennessee team looked like a bunch of inbred hillbillies, he would still be on the air.

#53     Apr 18, 2007
  4. white guilt is a bitch, ain't it?

#54     Apr 18, 2007
  5. Only if you work for someone suffering from it.

#55     Apr 18, 2007
  6. #56     Apr 18, 2007
  7. pattersb

pattersb Guest

Funny, I remeber Stephen Colbert suggesting that Obama act as Jackson's or Sharpton's slave in order to earn his "blackness"... Remarkably, it caused not a peep out of anyone.

Not a recommended phrase for you conservatives at home, unless you want to pillioried in the public square.

bad white people, bad ...

#57     Apr 18, 2007
  8. When Imus made that remark he was not on a political rant. But, the political junkies jumped in to chew on it, and those seeking political milage found the political relevance and did their rhetoric. And that was expected. The black civil rights defenders stood up and swung at whoever was a reasonable target. That too was expected.
    And it's all about race in America. The black man vs the white man. It is the source of a low current tension that is always present in America. And it is a stain on America's social relations. The race issue has not gone anywhere. Inside the black community they still know what the deal is. The black/white social contract in America is written by the white man, and the black man has not signed on, because he does'nt feel like he is an American. The black American is more like a man without a country. He will not fully embrace America because the door has been slammed in his face too many times. When Imus made that remark about the black college women, it was yet another conformation that whites beleive blacks are not as good as whites.

#58     Apr 18, 2007
  9. #59     May 4, 2007
  10. I wondered at the time if they would try to stiff him on his huge contract. Unless I am missing something, he has about an airtight a legal case as they come. Apparently under his contract, they had to give him a warning about bad language. Not only didn't they give him a warning, they tolerated it for years until a few race hustlers got some traction and turned up the heat on them. Don't get me wrong, i think Imus is a POS, but I reserve my real disdain for those liberal media types and pols who lined up to get on his show then were shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that he was un PC at times. As for CBS, a deal's a deal. Pay the man.

#60     May 4, 2007