Don Imus should have been fired

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kut2k2, Apr 14, 2007.

1. nitro

nitro

No it doesn't bother me one way or the other, since before it bothers me, I decide not to watch or listen to it.

I simply don't understand why people want to censure other people. I think that the talking heads are the ones that make a big deal out of this. The only people that care are 1) the ones that want to censure, and 2) the ones that listen to Imus, and 3) the talking heads that get in between the two in order to bring watchers in (the gossip hounds) to raise their ratings. It is only news to them!

To the rest of us, it is easy: We don't want to censure, even assholes like Imus, and we don't listen to Imus. Both of those things can coexist is my point. The mind-police want to censure Imus. The people that listen to Imus want freedom of speech. The talking heads want to be in the middle of it all as if the rest of us cared.

Leave the constitution alone. It has worked [it gets it right eventually] for 200 years and it will work for another 1000.

See?

nitro

#41     Apr 16, 2007
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Nobody's saying Imus can't say anything he wants to.

But the last time I checked, the right to free speech didn't include the right to spew anything you wanted over public airwaves. Nobody has a constitutional right to their own TV show. And since the number of TV channels are limited, there is an FCC that can limit their content (the pay channels excepted, for now -- and hopefully forever; if somebody is willing to pay for controversial content, they should be able to get it).

I wish Imus was still on CBS radio; there's probably worse than him spewing garbage over the radiowaves.

But why was MSNBC, one of only three US cable news channels, putting their cameras in front of him, when he's mixing "news" (mainly political happy talk) with shock-jock schlock?

If MSNBC is going to be a news channel, then they should act like a news channel and not broadcast divisive crap like Imus' bigotry. We've already got Fox Noise for that.

#42     Apr 16, 2007
  3. good point... The mainstream media's ownership is very concentrated, so it is fairly easy for the Powers that Be (PTB) to control the information through it. The internet in its present form is wide open and hard to control. Which I think is of great concern to the PTB. I wonder how much longer we have until its present form for open discussion is curbed like you say. ?

#43     Apr 16, 2007
  4. "Nappy headed ho's"? If whites did'nt know it before, they know it now: It's ok for blacks to say stuff like nappy headed ho's to each other and about each other, and no offense taken. But whites are not a part of the black culture, and as an outsider a white person is not permitted by blacks to say those things to them, or about them. A black guy will say to his girl, 'hey nappy head bitch, come gimme some sugar'. And sugar he'll get. Imus did'nt know how it works and trespassed into black culture. What you do'nt know can kill you.

#44     Apr 17, 2007
  5. Imus actually contributes to society by paying taxes and helping sick kids,

While Al Sharpton is busy pandering to his criminal voter base.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mim90zCi34Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mim90zCi34Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#45     Apr 17, 2007
  6. Everyone pays taxes and help sick kids. But not everyone is dumb enough to say what Imus said, not on radio.

#46     Apr 17, 2007
  7. kut2k2

kut2k2

I'm sure if a Black man says that to the 'wrong' Black woman that he could wind up losing some teeth. Just like a lot of Blacks don't want to hear the n-word come out of anybody's mouth.
    Imus knew what he was saying, but he didn't care. Worse, he thought he had cover by dragging out the juvenile "rappers do it too!" excuse.

You're right about one thing. I heard an Irish guy refer to another Irish guy as a "m**k". He can get away with that. Even if I wanted to, and I don't, I shouldn't be allowed to go around refering to Irish people as "m**ks", because I'm not Irish.

People used to know this elementary stuff. Now some of them think anything goes. And some others were looking for any excuse to use defamatory language against other groups all along, anyway. So the "rappers do it too!" excuse is very appealing to them.

It's time for everybody to clean up their language, joking or otherwise.

#47     Apr 17, 2007
  8. "People used to know this elementary stuff."

Courtesy and respect too. Back in the day the motto was question authority, now it's disrespect authority. How did people get so dumb?

#48     Apr 17, 2007

9. I think people are getting more cynical, because as more lies and corruption become exposed , they realize that the "authority" cares not about them, only for enriching themselves. Information technology growth has allowed more people to have their eyes opened.

"When a country has five percent of the world's population but spends fifty percent of the world's military spending, that country's persuasive power is in decline."

#49     Apr 17, 2007
  10. Sam321

Sam321

Yeah right. Whatever Democrats and their Leftist gulag operatives and their race pimps disagree with, it’s “controversial.”

You think this is controversial? That’s your problem. Don’t limit my speech and my choice of what to listen to just because YOU are afraid of free speech.

#50     Apr 17, 2007