Don Bright 2.0

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Maverick74, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Who said futures? We are talking about stocks. And if you think 50k is HUGE capitalization then....

#31     Dec 8, 2010
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

So let me paraphrase what you are saying here:

Don's business model has no choice but to advertise to the middle-to-lowest denominator to drum up business.

Don's canned marketing replies usually confirm his suspicions about Bright's true business model, sweeping up dumb money commissions as a piker prop firm that scours the grimy sea floor.

Bright Trading is a solid, well established middle of the road piker prop firm that caters to deluded traders.

:eek:

#32     Dec 9, 2010
  3. Fractal

Fractal

Wellll.... I was actually implying that's the subtext of your good hearted occasional jabs at Mr. Bright's business model.

Personally I think Don is a great guy and that you both perform a good service here when you critique aspects of this business.

#33     Dec 9, 2010
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Of course....that goes without saying. :)

#34     Dec 9, 2010
  5. You know it's funny - yes, I know I think a lot of things are funny - but in the case of people thinking we spend any money on advertising. Many firms spend more on their website development than I do with any actual "hard dollars" for any type of ad. TASC actually pays me to write a column - swap some for little ad etc. I do pay Baron, and have 10 years, just to keep a spot in the forum - but I honestly think that it's more my love of inter-acting within a web community (as I've done since about 1980 - before the WWW - back to "The Source" days)....that has made more of an impact overall. And educaion - I enjoy writing and teaching - whether here, at our local colleges, MIT, or whatever. What I don't like is seeing what has happened to the various "trading expos" with dozens of "experts" paying big money to try to sell some "stuff" - I actually enjoyed watching one of Tim Sykes videos as he was wandering through on event... heartfele, LOL for sure.

Time spent enjoying myself at times pays off in other ways, but I can honestly say that I can afford to do whatever I want - and as long as I feel ok, will likely enjoy myself here and on other venues. I try not to "talk down" or "talk up" for that matter to anyone who attends class or posts here or calls or otherwise communicates with me...just plain old discussions for the most part. A few try to dissect every syllable in search of some great motive - not much dissection needed - I enjoy it, and if some find what we at BT have to offer is of value to them, great.

It was really heartening to see my top guys in Vegas last weekend - and to see them really enjoy each others company, and getting together with Bob and I for good, fun chats.

Oh well, shouldn't "wax poetic" too much here...might be "dissected" as being part of some sinister plan.....LOL, yes, LOL. :)

Don :)

#35     Dec 9, 2010
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don, there is nothing wrong with coming out and telling people that you and your brother are trying to make money. Not trading, but in the "trading business". There is nothing wrong with that. I don't think you or your brother are running an altruistic enterprise. The articles in TASC, the posts on ET, the meet and greets, they are all there to bring business to your firm. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think sometimes you get sensitive to the fact that others will be critical of your business no matter what you say.

With the amount of money you and your brother are making by being in the "business" of trading, you should let this stuff go much easier. This teaching you are doing, you are not teaching inner city kids how to read right? You are giving a de facto sales presentation at local community colleges. Hey, nothing wrong with that. That's good business!

On a side note...MIT? Nice. :)

#36     Dec 9, 2010
  7. Fractal

Fractal

I concur. Just to clarify, I was <i>really</i> just satirizing Maverick's, shall we say, elitism, with the above. Yeah, we all realize Don's dialogue is interlaced with marketing, but personally I dislike advertising in general and I'd take a 1,000 Don Brights over one of those Trader Expo buffoons.

Business is business, and while I have no interest in joining a prop firm, I personally like the way Bright does its thang. It helps that Don just seems like a decent guy.

#37     Dec 9, 2010
  8. Probability, Gaming, and Trading Week
    MIT]Community IAP Activity, led by Mike Epstein, research affiliate with the MIT Laboratory for Financial Engineering
    26]Jan
    Monday in Student Center Mezzanine, W20 ] 307
    1:30pm
    Ralph Vince
    Topic
    Probability and Statistics
    Ralph is a computer programmer and author of numerous mathematical portfolio management texts.
    3:00pm
    Bill Chen, Susquahana International Group (SIG)
    Topic
    Poker as a Training Tool for Traders
    Bill Chen is a quantitative analyst, poker player, and software designer with Susquehanna International Group (SIG). At the 2006 World Series of Poker, Bill won two events, taking in $786,129 in prize money. He is author of the Chen Formula and co]author of The Mathematics of Poker.
    5:30pm
    Hands]on application of concepts through game play
    27]Jan
    Tuesday in E52]175 classroom
    1:30pm
    Don Bright, Bright Trading, LLC co]founder & card counter turned stock market millionaire
    Topic
    Trading and Poker Parallels: Risk? Yes. Reward? Of Course, But the Similarities Go Deeper
    Bright Trading is one of the largest Professional, Proprietary Stock Trading Firms in the U.S., with trading rooms Nationwide (and Canada) with hundreds of traders. Formed in 1992 by two long time traders and friends, with the intention of providing the tools and capital necessary for serious traders to succeed.

Full speaker list: Probability, Gaming, and Trading Week
    http://www.stocktrading.com/MITevent2009.pdf

Yeah, "whoda thunk" - very interesting day to say the least.

Don :eek:

#38     Dec 9, 2010
  9. [​IMG]

Don

#39     Dec 9, 2010
  10. emg

emg

let me ask you this don, if you had a trader like nick leeson, what would you do? a trader like nick leeson is pro hiding losses and manipulating people.

By the way, Nick Leeson was a former Prop Trader

#40     Dec 9, 2010