Dominionists are Funding the "Intelligent Design" Fundamentalist Political Faction

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 2cents, Jun 13, 2007.

1. http://evilbender.wordpress.com/200...t-the-discovery-institutes-disturbing-legacy/

In case you missed it: the Discovery Institutefs Disturbing Legacy May 3, 2007
    Posted by Evil Bender in constiutional issues, wingnuts, bigotry, Science, Religion. trackback
    Pat Hayes at Red State Rabble posted a brief history of the Discovery Institutefs newest tactic today. Itfs a must-read. Check it out!

Hayes explains,

"When Judge John Jones ruled, in December of 2005, that intelligent design isnft science and the only real effect of the Dover school boardfs ID policy was to advance religion, the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based intelligent design advocacy group, found itself with a problem on its hands."

"Discoveryfs strategy, its very raison dfetre, had been to promote a renamed and re-branded creationism as science in order to skirt a damaging series of court rulings, most prominently the 1987 Supreme Court Edwards v. Aguillard decision, in order to bring both God and Genesis back into the nationfs public school science classes."

Defeated in the courts, hemorrhaging allies, losing local elections and failing to produce any real science, what is the DI to do?

"Discoveryfs Plan B has popped up with increasing frequency over a number of months, but got its official launch with speeches in Washington and Philadelphia earlier this week by Discovery fellow John West that quickly cut the Nazifs six million victims to ghundred of thousands.h

According to West, gDarwinismh is responsible for gthe eugenics movement that sterilized scores of thousands of Americans deemed unfit in the early decades of the last century, the concurrent rise of the abortion movement, and the extermination of hundreds of thousands of supposed social undesirables by the Nazis in Germany.h "

Of course this would be the latest plot of these dishonest psuedoscholars: Godwinfs law exists because people call gNazih when defeated in legitimate argument. But in reality Darwin is no more to blame for such atrocity than is Jesus Christ, whose teachings the Nazis appropriated to make their case.

More damning than this juvenile and desperate new strategy, though, is the true history of the DIfs leadership:

"In tracing the history of Christian fascism in the United States Hedges explains the seminal role played by Rousas Rushdooney, the founder of the Dominionism, the theology behind Christian Reconstructionism.

Rushdooney gdismissed the number of 6 million Jews killed in the Holocaust as an inflated figure and his theories on race echoed Nazi Eugenics,h according to Hedges.

gThe white man has behind him centuries of Christian culture and the discipline and selective breeding this faith requiresc,h Rushdooney wrote. gThe Negro is a product of a radically different past, and his heredity has been governed by radically different considerations.h "

And what is the connection between the Dominionists fascism and the DI?

"None other than Howard Ahmanson, a wealthy Californian who is heir to the Home Savings bank fortune. In the e70s Ahmanson joined Rushdoonyfs Christian Reconstructionist movement and served as a board member of Rushdoonyfs Chalcedon Foundation for over ten years.

Ahmanson currently serves on Discoveryfs board of directors and is its largest contributor. His gift of $1.5 million provided the seed money to organize Discoveryfs Center for Science and Culture.

So, as West, Weikart and the other Discovery fellows go about their business, speaking their codespeak, linking Darwin and evolution to Hitler, they draw their pay from modern American fascists, Holocaust deniers, racists, homophobes, and apologists for the Nazi eugenics.

Thatfs Discoveryfs disturbing legacy. "

Thatfs a direct connection, my friends, between the DI and those whose stated goal is to make America into a Christian Theocracy. Unlike Darwin, whose ideas were misused by those seeking any justification for the evil they wished to commit, the DI is willingly taking funding from those whose goal is to take our country over.

But remember, folks, Intelligent Design has nothing to do with religion...

2. jem

jem

it does have a lot to do with physicists and the cosmological constant.

3. fhl

fhl

4. well i guess it makes it all fine then... silly me... what could be wrong with taking money from modern American fascists, Holocaust deniers, racists, homophobes, and apologists for the Nazi eugenics after all?... if it has sthg to do with the cosmological constant...

" "Discoveryfs Plan B has popped up with increasing frequency over a number of months, but got its official launch with speeches in Washington and Philadelphia earlier this week by Discovery fellow John West that quickly cut the Nazifs six million victims to ghundred of thousands.h

According to West, gDarwinismh is responsible for gthe eugenics movement that sterilized scores of thousands of Americans deemed unfit in the early decades of the last century, the concurrent rise of the abortion movement, and the extermination of hundreds of thousands of supposed social undesirables by the Nazis in Germany.h "

"In tracing the history of Christian fascism in the United States Hedges explains the seminal role played by Rousas Rushdooney, the founder of the Dominionism, the theology behind Christian Reconstructionism.

Rushdooney gdismissed the number of 6 million Jews killed in the Holocaust as an inflated figure and his theories on race echoed Nazi Eugenics,h according to Hedges.

gThe white man has behind him centuries of Christian culture and the discipline and selective breeding this faith requiresc,h Rushdooney wrote. gThe Negro is a product of a radically different past, and his heredity has been governed by radically different considerations.h "

And what is the connection between the Dominionists fascism and the DI?

"None other than Howard Ahmanson, a wealthy Californian who is heir to the Home Savings bank fortune. In the e70s Ahmanson joined Rushdoonyfs Christian Reconstructionist movement and served as a board member of Rushdoonyfs Chalcedon Foundation for over ten years.

Ahmanson currently serves on Discoveryfs board of directors and is its largest contributor. His gift of $1.5 million provided the seed money to organize Discoveryfs Center for Science and Culture.

So, as West, Weikart and the other Discovery fellows go about their business, speaking their codespeak, linking Darwin and evolution to Hitler, they draw their pay from modern American fascists, Holocaust deniers, racists, homophobes, and apologists for the Nazi eugenics. "

5. interesting, thanks, notably that bit:

"The researchers also found acceptance or rejection of atheists is related not only to personal religiosity, but also to one¡¯s exposure to diversity, education and political orientation¡ªwith more educated, East and West Coast Americans more accepting of atheists than their Midwestern counterparts. "

no risk of over-exposure to education in america AFAIK...

now, how does this relate to the thread's topic may i ask? did the subject trouble you so much that evasion (in an objectivist sense) was your best answer?

6. I suppose they pose a threat to a warm and fuzzy collective illusion.

On the other hand, guys like President Bush and Rev. Ted Haggard inspire all kinds of trust. Fortunately, for you, there are plenty of folks like them to give you all the comfort you need. Perhaps you should all assemble and declare a fatwa and a jihad against the atheists. Then it should only be a matter of time before Sunday schoolers start walking into science classrooms to detonate and martyr themselves for the glory of God.

P.S. to the lower-wattage bulbs: Can you see the parallel? Any difference is essentially one of degree.

7. jem

jem

you can pitch it anyone you want but the ID movement has a lot to do with the cosmological constant. I care not who the messenger is, I care about the science.

There are three camps attempting to explain the fine tunings.

The hope of the unique mathematical solution camp -

(occupied by perhaps most of science. and based on faith of a future discovery)

The fine tunings appear to be evidence of design camp -

occupied by some scientists and some astute observers of science, some well educated religious thinkers, most church leaders, and some wackos. (Interestingly this position is the least faith based based on current science.)

The fine tunings would be evidence of design but for the fact that we might have billiions and billions of alternative universe camp. -

Many top physicists are converting to this camp- it is faith based at the moment.

It is a delicious irony that the two "scientific" positions are faith based.

I have the words of top physicists and nobel prize winners to support my claim.

In fact the STU last quote in the id thread was taken from a recent letter by a nobel prize winner -- and it pretty much lays out what I have stated here.

8. fhl

fhl

You guys just can't decide whether everyone loves bush or can't stand him. I guess that's the kind of confusion atheism breeds.

9. Oh, that decision was made a long time ago. I guess you missed the meeting.

10. maxpi

maxpi

A poll in USA Today recently had more people believing in creation than evolution. I think that is tremendous progress considering that every public school in the USA is indoctrinating children into evolution.

#10     Jun 13, 2007