Domain Name Registrar

Discussion in 'App Development' started by kmiklas, May 18, 2022.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Hey All,

Can anyone recommend a good domain name registrar?

Godaddy has left me torn and bleeding... I'm transferring all my domains out.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. hilmar22

hilmar22

hover.com (formerly TuCows) is one of the oldest and most popular. I also use webnames.ca. I've also used GoDaddy but they're big on the upsell.

kmiklas likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I use network solutions, but the domain registrar is way less important than the DNS hosting service. To be able to quickly and accurately change DNS settings on the fly that take effect immediately is way more important than where the domain is parked and registered.

kmiklas likes this.
  4. GoldDigger

GoldDigger

Dynadot. Great prices, volume discounts,
    lots of features that make managing your
    domains easy. I highly recommend them.

kmiklas likes this.
  5. kmiklas

kmiklas

Godaddy really screwed me hard with this forced email change. They took away dozens of email addresses, and forced me to pay for them. I'm leaving the platform, and don't recommend it.

6. I still use GoDaddy since I'm a comfortable lazy f*nk and it's easier to keep paying for a lukewarm service than make the effort to find something better (and possibly land out worse).

Expect worse, btw. They're all a**oles.

7. hilmar22

hilmar22

I manage an old site that used a legacy linux server. They discontinued my free email so I had to pay for the ones I needed. I still had free forwarding so I could transition most accounts to forwarding. A few months ago the site was moved by GoDaddy to a new server which required some code changes to a very old Joomla installation. They did warn me for two years. It's not perfect so I'll be moving to CanadianWebHosting.

My other GoDaddy hosting uses a new server with cPanel and I have free email via cPanel. I don't get free cPanel SSL (which is based on letsencript.org). GoDaddy disabled that cPanel function.

Customer service over the phone has been good and the agents did know their stuff.