Dollar General will hire 6,000 for new stores

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by misterno, Jan 18, 2011.

1. BSAM

BSAM

When were you last in a Family Dollar store?

#21     Jan 20, 2011
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Yesterday???

I would say they get at least half of their products for free or dirt cheap...

Hey, here is hearsay:

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm345267.html

"My cousin was assistant manager in the one down the road from us. They can order in a case of 100 pairs of earrings for $8.00. In the end when they sell them all, they get $800.00. $792.00, there is your profit."

Now this poster might have made a math mistake of selling the earring for $8 instead of 1 dollar, but even if it is selling for just a buck, the purchasing cost was only 8%, and that is the point....

For extra credit:

http://www.fluther.com/86151/how-does-dollar-tree-make-money/

#22     Jan 20, 2011
  3. BSAM

BSAM

LOL.....Uh, yeah.....Okay.

#23     Jan 20, 2011
  4. Larson

Larson Guest

Wait a minute. Have any of you guys ever been in retail mgmt.? If not, this is all pure speculation. The mgrs. would have a good idea where the product comes from.

#24     Jan 20, 2011
  5. luxor

luxor

I love dollar stores.

They're good for batteries, beef jerky, mixed nuts, balloons and wine glasses.

Where else can you get the aforementioned items for $1? It's capitalism at its best.

#25     Jan 20, 2011
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I agree, but the beef jerky is $3.5.... :)

#26     Jan 20, 2011
  7. S2007S

S2007S

You know what dollar stores I really question are the ones that say dollar stores and when you walk in you realize about half the products in there are not a dollar. There are a few by me that opened up in the last few years that have other products that are marked $3 $4 and even $5 dollars.

#27     Jan 20, 2011
  8. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) has started aggressively asking suppliers for opening-price-point goods in recent weeks, taking aim at dollar stores' low prices, The New York Post reported on its website Tuesday, citing several sources close to the company. This means the world's largest retailer will be pressing partners such as Procter & Gamble Co. (PG) and Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT) to make smaller, more affordable packages of their products, the Post said.

#28     Jan 27, 2011
  9. funny thing is most of those items selling in dollar stores for a dollar, walmart sells them less than a dollar

Sheeple is still sleeping

#29     Jan 27, 2011