Dollar Fixated

Discussion in 'Forex' started by oldtime, Nov 28, 2012.

1. it wouldn't make any sense to talk about it. I trade multiple pairs. So when I get flat, 3 may be small losers and one a big winner. Or visa versa

I think I've had one losing month this year, and that was when I got just totally on the wrong side of qe3

I'm kind of old fashioned, so it was hard to look down there and see one huge loss, and many small profits

#21     Dec 2, 2012
  2. it was hard to resist the temptation to take that big loss, but it was equally hard to resist the temptation to take that huge profit.

I trade the whole portfolio. That is what has been consistent for me. I don't know if you could do it in something other than forex.

#22     Dec 2, 2012
  3. but it is usual for me to be underwater 20 days out of every month

all the money is made in a few hours or sometimes a few minutes

the big days I still remember are losses. The medium days I've already forgotten tend to be winners.

I got interested in forex, because I just had some random positions on in a paper account, and I noticed it had the kind of swings I was comfortable with, with the kind of risk I was comfortable taking.

#23     Dec 2, 2012
  4. sorry to avoid your question, for example I have in excess of 100 pips in the eur.usd, and it is a non event.

I'm short aud.usd from 439, and 60 pips or less may be a big deal.

it just depends on how everything is working together.

my target is less than 4%, sometimes it takes all month to get it, sometimes you get it in less than one day.

When it's going good you get it many times in a row in less than a week.

when it's going bad you feel like you are losing your mind and just gambling your life savings away

otherwise, to get back on topic, everything is just dollar fixated right now. So goes the dollar so goes whatever else you have on.

it's been pretty reliable in that DX range of 78 to 83

so I guess you could say we're in the middle right now

good place to be for a trader, because you can play it either way

#24     Dec 2, 2012
  5. ok, I'm flat, these kind of days only happen once in a while. My experience is that in most cases you can get back in at a better price.

I never know for sure if I am cutting my profits short.

I plan on getting back in on any pullback.

That dollar is hard to read, not sure what it is going to do. But once they ignore it, everything starts moving it's own way. And it is very quick, just a matter of minutes.

#25     Dec 3, 2012