Dollar Down + Stock Market Up?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DallasTrader, Sep 27, 2007.

1. That was hyper inflation which is obviously very bad

#31     Sep 27, 2007
  2. Look what is soaring right now. ags, oil, metals. The fed is desperate to keep this balloon going and not let housing drag everything down.

#32     Sep 27, 2007
  3. Those comodities are soaring not necessarly due to inflation but as the result of huge demand by emerging markets.

#33     Sep 27, 2007
  4. ya it's gonna be great for exporters when the dollar will be worth zero. Export all sorts.

#34     Sep 27, 2007
  5. the point, that many miss, is that the "market" (dow, nasdaq, amex composite, whatever) is MEASURED in dollars.

iow, in the same period where we have had a 20%+ up move in the S&P (dollar denominated), we have LOST 25% value in the dollar. so, in REAL terms, the S&P has actually LOST VALUE

similarly, while gold (which is measured in dollars) is near 1980's highs, it is NOWHERE near 1980's highs in REAL dollars.

cheap dollars mean foreign investors can buy more shares of US stocks, since they are cheaper.

#35     Sep 27, 2007
  6. piezoe

piezoe

Yes, and crude oil too. I don't think the average US citizen fully realizes how dollar devaluation, in addition to demand, is reflected in prices they see at the pump.

#36     Sep 27, 2007
  7. I dont think the chorus of idiots realizes that this isnt the 1990's with 10 dollar oil. Trying to save housing and getting 5 dollar gas instead doesnt sound like my idea of a good time

#37     Sep 27, 2007
  8. dhpar

dhpar

wow - dow at 26,890,000. just imagine that - and that basically in less than 1 year!

I love these threads...:D

#38     Sep 27, 2007
  9. most people don't mind paying 3$ a gallon for gas

They spend $4 on a tiny cup of coffee.

#39     Sep 27, 2007
  10. "Yes, and crude oil too. I don't think the average US citizen fully realizes how dollar devaluation, in addition to demand, is reflected in prices they see at the pump."

exactly. especially since the dollar has been decoupled from gold.

what exactly is a dollar worth? well, it's worth X euros, Y loonies, Z gallons of gas, P gallons of milk, etc.

we have a dollar index that is objective, but it still makes it difficult to really grasp the fact that the dollar is fluid.

i have seen some really neat charts that chart the dow, for example, in REAL (inflation adjust dollars), or in terms of how many ounces of gold you could buy per share of the dow etc.

those give a very different picture. it's quite illuminating

the one thing that has really been great for this bull market is earnings (well that, and a liquidity bubble). S&P earnings trend has been simply phenomenal. however, earnings in REAL dollars - not so much.

#40     Sep 27, 2007