Dollar breaking down

Discussion in 'Trading' started by scriabinop23, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Daal

Daal

Its possible that the dollar will lose the correlation with the safe haven bid. We will see in the next few days

#41     Dec 11, 2008

2. If stock_trad3r says it, I believe it.

#42     Dec 11, 2008
  3. I find it absolutely hysterical that in august everyone was demanding lower oil prices. Be careful what you wish for

#43     Dec 11, 2008
  4. I find it absolutely hysterical that in august everyone was demanding lower oil prices. We got them and now everyone is scared to death

#44     Dec 11, 2008
  5. Yeah, be careful what you wish for. I'm sure people would rather get back half their portfolio and pay $4/gallon right about now.

#45     Dec 11, 2008
  6. Akemi

Akemi

I don’t even understand why that little US upward can be called “flight to quality” since the beginning the crisis started in US
    Why just for a moment did US dollars go up and then as you say “the superficial flight to 'quality' may be ending”?
    Fundamental analysis here is essential

#46     Dec 11, 2008
  7. FED has increased the money flow to the banks. The banks are not lending it to the private sector for obvious reasons. Instead, the banks park in treasuries. And, more importantly, the FED is buying treasuries, which effectively means of course printing money and supplying it to treasure at 0%

Eh ? The FED currently doesn't issue any debt at all, it prints money and lends it (eg buys treasury bonds). However, they've just recently said they're considering issueing debt themselves ( http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147567 )

Anyway, IMHO the USD is going to collapse since:
    1) reason it got stronger was that people fled into treasury bonds. Now those pay 0, nobody wants those anymore, hence, they don't need USD's anymore
    2) Unwinding of the carry trade
    3) The U.S. has taken the attitude that other countries must support the dollar because it is in their interest. But there's a limit to what other countries can do; there's also a limit when it seizes to be in their interest
    4) Printed money by the FED just caused higher reserves at banks. When those start lending again to private sector -> inflation -> lower USD.

#47     Dec 11, 2008
  8. The USD will collapse because of the unwinding of the carry trade? Huh? The USD is used to fund the carry trade!

#48     Dec 11, 2008
  9. Unwinding of the YEN/USD carry trade. People borrowed the YEN (which had low interest) and sold it to buy USD (higher yields, back then). Now, unwinding that, they need to sell those USD's and buy YEN's back.

Furthermore, the USD is now increasingly becoming popular as the basis for a new carry trade: borrow the USD and sell it to buy some other currency with higher yield.

So unwinding the *huge* YEN/USD carry trade and setting up new carry trades with the USD as basis, both devaluate the USD.

#49     Dec 11, 2008
  10. PaulRon

PaulRon

forex is getting wild jesus christ

• god.jpg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
    #50     Dec 11, 2008