Doing my part to curb carbon emissions LOL

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I have a 1970 factory works Porsche 914-6 GT that ran third in Le Mans 24h in 1970. Did some racing at Willow Springs in it. Not particularly successful at it but had some fun. My mom had raced Formula Fords in the 60s and my dad had been a well known rally driver in the 50s.

Not proud to say but I street raced hot rods from '77 to '81 in North Carolina when I was in the Air Force. Nobody got hurt. Got chased a few times, caught once and got away on 3 other occasions. Its been long enough that I'm sure we're past statute of limitations. :)

I race yachts with my dad offshore now in PHRF-G. I raced back east for years and was mainsail trimmer on the 1988 MORC east-coast champion crew in PHRF-C. I raced on some A-boats too but not successfully. We also raced Newport-Ensenda every year until Ensenada became dangerous and the port terribly polluted.

#51     Feb 25, 2012
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Ohms, I love it! I do some work with animal rescues. I have three LARGE dogs now that all came from dire circumstances, and have placed countless dogs (even a pot belly pig once) in happy homes.

When my Wife comes inside, she often asks, "are you hiding another dog in my laundry room, or your weight room?" LOL!:D

Speaking of cars and dogs, I just bought a Lexus that I really like. Yesterday, I put a blanket in the back seat, and took one of my babies to a place where I can wash her with nice warm water, she can shake off the soap without destroying my bathroom, and she gets a snack (called a "yum yum") on the ride home.:)

#52     Feb 25, 2012
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Cool!

I've got 3 dogs.

An all black german shepard named Hannah, Mildred the mixed dog in the picture and a pit bull I found dying on my property as an abandoned puppy who I named Freddy. I found him literally laying upside down up against a fence unable to eat or drink because of a huge wound on his neck. It turned out, after about 2 grand of vet bills, that he had been starving so he was eating foxtails and one was stuck in his throat and caused an abscess. He has grown up to be a good dog, very gentle and a sweet disposition. I never knew a pitbull could be so nice. He is very vocal and makes an assortment of noises some of which sound a little like a cow. I think he knows he was rescued. All three dogs are extremely protective of me. I worry about burglars being torn apart.

Around here we call a doggy snack a "cookie-bone" LOL. They like the peanutbutter dog snacks from Trader Joe's. :D

I never thought I would be a dog rescue guy. I've found a few others up here that I've been able to re-home. I think people abandon animals in the town and they get beat up and sort of take refuge up here on the mountain. Either I rescue them or the coyotes get them. There is a desert badger living up here but I don't mess with him. Never seen a cat here. There are lots of squirrels, chipmunks and several hundred california quail. I could probably eat well if things went south and we had a large earthquake etc. The San Andreas Fault is just a few miles from here.

Cars and Dogs lol. :)

[​IMG]

#53     Feb 25, 2012
  4. What's that sound I hear. Oops, I forgot, not supposed to mention it.

c:)

#54     Feb 25, 2012
  5. Not trying to stalk or anything, but you keep saying 'mountain' - as in Walton's mountain or something. I assume in Ca. Just curious as to Southern or Northern? Don't have to say, not trying to get too personal.

c

#55     Feb 25, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Southern Cal.

I own a butte that is part of the Lovejoy/Alpine Buttes north of Los Angeles. I'm about 1-hour from my favorite sushi place in Little Tokyo in downtown LA.

Not exactly a mountain, more like a pile of exposed fractured bedrock. The buttes don't shake so there are precarious rock formations, rocks stacked up like they are balanced etc. There are joshua trees here that were standing in the time of Christ and are older than the redwoods. Lots or ironwood, creosote and juniper. I've got a couple of hundred pine trees, eucalyptus and mexican fan palms on 6 acres with about 2 acres fenced in at the top with irrigation. I've been here since 2006.

They filmed Gunsmoke here and the old Gene Autry show. In a sense I own the real Ponderosa lol. :)

[​IMG]

#56     Feb 25, 2012
  7. Very nice. Although not as cool as yours, I love having about 80 trees on my immediate property. Keeps the world in perspective without having to go hiking, nice.

c

#57     Feb 25, 2012