Doing my part to curb carbon emissions LOL

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

There was only one car that made 450 hp when I was a kid and that was the 1970 SS 454 Chevelle with the solid lifters, I think it was the LS6. They might have put that engine in a few El Caminos as well but I'm not sure.

I remember because those solid lifters had to be adjusted...frequently. :D

#11     Feb 23, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

I guess it's no good if it's that hard to figure out.

Mid Life Crisis

See if you can get this one

10SNE1

#12     Feb 23, 2012
  3. I never particularly cared for Mustangs. They always seemed to have the typical sloppy Ford steering and cheap plastic. Then I got a Mustang rental car a couple of months back, and my opinion totally changed. It was only a V-6 but was pretty darn sublime. Great driving car with decent power. all you would ever need really. Cool interior, etc. I was thinking Camaro for my next car but Mustang is looking more probable now.

I can only imagine how great the Boss is.

#13     Feb 23, 2012
  4. Crispy

Crispy

The way I see it your feeding the trees..good for you and the trees!

And, pics or this is just bullshittn....:D

#14     Feb 23, 2012
  5. Ricter

Ricter

When I wear out my sedan (happening fast, thanks to this gravel road I live on now) I'm getting a pick up. I'm renting a pick up for projects around the farm but there always seems to be a project around the farm.

#15     Feb 23, 2012
  6. 1967 427 Chevy, L-88, with aluminum heads. Easy 500 HP.

Had one in the old days, have engine now, looking for a decent car to put it in.

c

#16     Feb 23, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Loved the L88, Vette motor right? I knew someone that put an L-88 in a Chevelle. Sweet and strong. But it had 430 hp from the factory. I didn't take much to boost the hp, just simple headers and it would dyno much higher than 430. That engine, the block and heads, is worth quite a bit of money now. You might be surprised how much.

The highest factory horsepower from the era was the LS6 with solid lifters at 450 hp. I didn't care for the 454 and regarded it as a truck motor. We actually preferred the 396 but it had a weakness in that it would sometimes spin and stack the forward crank bearings. Saw that happen a few times with cars belonging to friends.

Fastest of all the street cars I've ever been around was owned by a friend from Roanoke Virginia who had a 1970 SS 396 Chevelle that he built. His father had a milling machine in the basement. This was when we were young guys in the USAF. It ran on aviation fuel and would only make it up main street to the airport and back to his house with enough fuel left to make it back to the airport lol. I remember it was about 4 miles per gallon. The 4:88 posi was probably the reason for that. :)

He kept the car and decades later his wife called me and told me he'd been killed in it. No other cars around but he had lost control and crashed into trees and was trapped in the car with a leg artery severed. He had kids too. Really a senseless tragedy.

I still own fast cars but I always keep my friend in mind and I don't drive like a kid. I don't race, ever. I don't even exceed the speed limit except out in the desert with no other traffic around. But honestly the hot cars of today arent nearly as dangerous as those old hot rods back in the day.

I remember when sex was safe and hot rods were dangerous. :D

#17     Feb 23, 2012
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

This is exactly how it went for me. I had taken my truck into the dealership for service and rented a car. It was a 2009 V-6 Mustang and I was very impressed with the power, braking and handling and I liked the body style. Pretty amazing the power they can extract from 6 cylinders these days isn't it?

#18     Feb 23, 2012
  9. Max E.

Max E.

You mean to tell me your living in Alberta and you dont already drive a truck?? You are pretty much a statistical anomaly in that province, whenever im in Calgary or Edmonton all i ever see are trucks, and bigger trucks.... all the rig pigs seem to be in a pissing contest... :D

#19     Feb 23, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

Hehe, yep. I'm a drive to live, not live to drive, kind of guy. Boring, unfashionable. But at least my truck will show signs of being used as a truck. : )

#20     Feb 23, 2012