Doing great with google

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stock_trad3r, May 29, 2007.

1. Congrats nice move. Maybe it can take out the 52 week high now.

#11     May 31, 2007
  2. This time it will. 513 will be cleared this week or next week.

3rd times a charm.

The 2 year chart is absolutely amazing..the most perfect base I have ever seen. A long cup and handle. This is gonna be huge.

#12     May 31, 2007

3. I wouldn't get too self-congratulatory...25% gain on GOOG over the last year isn't very impressive...sorry.

#13     May 31, 2007
  4. My goal is to beat the market consistently . 25% beats the market by almost 2X.

#14     May 31, 2007
  5. Now that I know that's your goal, good for you. It's nothing to brag about or tell others they should just listen to you since many of us make a lot higher percentage and dollar returns. No one would complain with those returns though.

:D

Remember though, you have a paper gain...until you sell it's all on paper.

#15     May 31, 2007
  6. I like to consider the source on this post.

Not that I'm really into the OP and this thread, but man SiSe you bring a new understanding to the term "railbird".
    Congrats to the thread starter. Good ROI, keep it up. Your goal is an ambitious one and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Like my mother always told me, if you ain't got nothing constructive to add or say, keep it to yourself. (take the hing SiSe)

Good Luck!

#16     May 31, 2007
  7. I congratulated him on beating/meeting his goals. But to display cockiness and tell others that he understands stocks and that people should listen to him is what I was addressing. There are others who return 100%+ yearly and don't act like such hot shots.

Sorry I piqued you, but I didn't mean anything offensive. And until you sell you don't make a huge gain, I'm sorry...do you know how to make money without locking in gains? :D

#17     May 31, 2007
  8. yes you are right..I do have to sell in order to actually make money but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

My question is if a lot of people here are making 100% or much more a year and are able to do it consistently why are all those mutual fund and portfolio managers considered 'successful' if they 'only' make 20% or more? Is there something they are missing? Even the best hedgefunds which have access to the worlds most sophisticated trading systems and very smart people aren't usually able to make more than 30% in a year. And a lot of them lose money infact.

#18     May 31, 2007
  9. That's because too many funds have too much money they need to deal with. The best gains are usually in small caps in my opinion. Or options, but that's a different story. If you take a company with a $500M market cap, you can't buy a $100M position easily...and even if you do build a $100M position, when you go to sell you crush the stock...and you've maybe doubled or tripled $100M. If you have $10B under management it's not that amazing overall.

You might not understand the problem because you've never had it. I've had the problem of wanting to jockey into a rather illiquid instrument and pushing the price...both buying and selling. Try doing that in stocks that other people watch closely in the way hedge funds have to. It's not easy.

So if GOOG goes to say $550 this year, you'll have made a $150 profit per share on a $400 investment. That's about 30% over two years give or take a few months. That's equal to a 15% year move.

You don't understand the size is the problem. No offense, but you show how little you know when you ask a question like that regarding why funds can't return such amazing gains.

So how do you make an income if you never sell stocks? Just curious if you'd care to divulge.

#19     May 31, 2007

10. That paragraph alone shows your lack of understanding. I was actually on your side until that. Now I'm beginning to enjoy Si Puedo's posts, lol

#20     May 31, 2007