Doesn't Anyone use eSignal and Trade the NYSE

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Slave2Market, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Andy S.

I can reproduce the problem every time and on at least 5 different PCs of different manufacturers and models e.g. Dell and Toshiba, and other Users I know can also reproduce it reliably. They are all running Windows 2K Service Pack 2 or Windows XP, and the only application running is eSignal. All you have to do is pull up a standard Tick chart for 1 day (I haven't messed around much with Advanced Charts), and add the symbol IBM=N. You will see that the chart looks just fine up to the current tick, but from this point forward it will update randomly and miss approximately 90% of the ticks. This bug is even easier to verify if you pull up several active stocks, each on their own tick chart e.g. MER=N, GS=N, MWD=N, and watch them for about 15 minutes. The only time I have seen it operate correctly, and then only for a short period of time (5 minutes or so), is if I have tick charts open for both the non-exchange filtered symbol and the exchange filtered symbol e.g. IBM and IBM=N. Please note that I don't have any other charts open, just the tick chart for the exchange filtered symbol.

I have also consistently verified the above operation when I try to plot exchange filtered symbols with NeoTicker charts e.g. I'm running only the Turbo Feed Data Manager and NeoTicker. This confirms that the bug is not related to the eSignal charting application.

Another but similar bug I want to report, is that when exchange filtering is used, the Bid/Ask data is not provided. This can easily be observed by pulling up a standard tick chart for an exchange filtered symbol and clicking on the B/A button - you will observe that nothing is plotted. This bug should easily be tracked down, because it is 100% repeatable on both real-time and historical tick data.

Regards,

Slave2Market

#11     Mar 20, 2003
  2. Does anyone know of any other software packages that allow you to filter your charts and quotes so that you just see NYSE information?

#12     Mar 21, 2003
  3. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

AT Financial does.

#13     Mar 21, 2003
  4. Does eSignal have an API to programmatically grab
    live data and historical data like RealTick???

Im thinking about switching if it does.

Any links? info on this?

peace

axeman

#14     Mar 21, 2003
  5. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

eSignal does support both composite and regional symbols for listed stocks. Here's an FAQ an how you can set them up:

http://www.esignalcentral.com/support/faq/esignal/quotewin/quotewin_regional.asp

In regards to problems with regional data reported on this thread, we do think we've uncovered one possible cause and solution. This solution has fixed the issue for at least one customer. The problem in this case dealt with a buried setting in the Data Manager that should be defaulted ON for all users. For a reason we have not yet determined, that setting had been turned off.

We are looking into the possibility that the installation and/or operation of a 3p application, like Omega TS2000i could have caused the change.

If regional symbols ( like IBM=N ) don't work for you either, please follow the instructions on the below thread and make sure this setting is correct. If the checkbox is marked and you still don't get the correct quotes, please let us know by posting on this eSignal Central thread.

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1203

Thanks.

#15     Mar 26, 2003
  6. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

That worked for me, thanks...I am running TS 2000i with it.

#16     Mar 27, 2003
  7. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Please note that we have found what is causing regional data to be turned off. TradeStation 2000i, when installed as using End of Day data from eSignal, is turning off regional data. We suggest using the aforementioned procedure to turn this setting back on.

#17     Mar 27, 2003
  8. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I use it for intraday data with TS. I noticed that I had to change the setting again today. Is this something I will have to do each time or is there a permanent fix?

#18     Mar 28, 2003
  9. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

WarEagle,

It sounds like TS is changing that setting each time you log into the application. To change this, simply re-run Omega's Global Server Set-up Wizard. Open up Omega's Global Server. Go to "Tools" on the menu bar, and select "Run Setup Wizard". This will begin the setup process. When it prompts you to choose End of Day or Real-time/Delayed, be sure to select the one that matches your eSignal subscription. It will then ask you which Datafeed to install. You should select "DBC Online Subserver". Once you complete the Setup Wizard, restart the eSignal program, and you should no longer experience this problem.

#19     Mar 28, 2003
  10. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Thanks. I did just what you said and it still resets that setting each time the GS is started.

#20     Mar 28, 2003