Does ZoneAlarm Handle Spyware?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Toonces, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Toonces

Toonces

My computer is doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Getting tons of popups, programs don't start, items from my start menu disappear, etc. (I assume this is a Spyware issue) So I installed ZoneAlarm, and it was working for a while; then I started having the same problems.

I noticed on the ZoneAlarm website that they're offering a Spyware blocker program as a bonus if you purchase ZA, which makes me think ZA doesn't deal with Spyware. The ZA tutorial doesn't mention spyware per se, so I don't know if you need a spyware program in addition.

2. gnome

gnome

You are probably on to the problem... ZA basic does not handle spyware. Google Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy... I use both and they keep my rig pretty clean..

3. i downloaded both adaware and spybot, and neither one got rid of the spyware. very distraught. :( :( :(

4. gnome

gnome

Don't you just love it when you boot up and say, "What the Hell?" as you screen acts stupid

5. pspr

pspr

Then you don't have any spyware running if you got the latest updates for the software.

I've noticed that my system running winXP is running slower since windows got the recent security updates. I think XP has so many update patches that it is now a piece of junk.

Wally

6. oh i still have the grey boxes popping up with jenny wanting me to give her a ring. that guy on cnbc said some spyware you can't get rid of.

7. I had some spyware I couldn't get rid of with Search and Destroy. AdAware got rid of it. Also got it from download.com. Good luck...

8. ZA will block outgoing packets. If you look at the log, you should see the location of the application trying to send stuff out.

Maybe you installed some crazy plug-in.
    Look in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS and see if you've got some multi-media viewer plug-in thats odd, something you don't remember installing.

Go to IE>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and uncheck Install On Demand.

9. One

One

Trend Micro offers a very good, free, internet based anti virus program called house call that checks for trojans, and has caught things missed by ad aware and spybot. In the right column is a link to reviews and a comparison to other av programs:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

10. Toonces

Toonces

I'm at the webpage, but I can't find the link you're referring to that has reviews and comparisons.

#10     Nov 21, 2003