does watching CNBC help or hurt your trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, Oct 30, 2010.

1. spd

spd

All I care for is my charts and my headphones to rock out while Im trading.

I'll skim Yahoo! Finance or Bloomberg articles, but mostly just for entertainment, not trade decision making.

#11     Nov 5, 2010
  2. BSAM

BSAM

In your dreams.

#12     Nov 5, 2010
  3. GG1972

GG1972

When I first started I used to watch CNBC as I traded and it used to play with my head-back when market was melting they were still bullish.

SO i took the TV out from my room ( had the habit of putting poker on while trading and get caught watching poker) but I d miss out on potential breaking news, hot stocks etc

Now I watch it before the open-mute after the open and turn the vol back on during important events. Bloomberg is good too for watching actives.

#13     Nov 5, 2010
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I enjoy watching CNBC and Bloomberg but as a "calendar reminder" of important schedule or unschedule key market events that have a dramatic impact on my trade positions.

Other than that, the only usefulness CNBC or Bloomberg has is their in-depth documentaries I enjoy watching when they show them on holidays or weekends.

Mark

#14     Nov 6, 2010
  5. News media is a playground for all sorts of bluffers, pump & dump schemes and other means of inducing information asymmetry. Be aware that at the highest level it is information asymmetry that results in no edge.

All you need to trade is a single number that is a measure of the probability of prices to move up. If the process that generates this number results in an edge, then you make money. Execution should be automatic. Risk managment should be carefully planned and no deviation should occur. Trading becomex simple for those that realize this approach.

#15     Nov 6, 2010
  6. magix3d

magix3d

I agree. just a general overview of market conditions and opinions.

#16     Nov 6, 2010
  7. #17     Nov 6, 2010
  8. pak

pak

Newsflash:

“CQG has just added the “Kramer index” to its list of indicators”.

Rumor has it that Rick Santelli’s boys are putting it to good use…

#18     Nov 7, 2010
  9. Mark2m

Mark2m

I used to listen to CNBC, mainly as background noise while trading. I was captivated by the humor, comedy and total outrageous recommendations by the pundits of the day. I want to thank CNBC for early morning workouts where listening to OBAMA Allah and sycophantic musings of most of the commentators made me work harder for a great workout. Finally after many years, I gave up, since I knew the commercials by heart, the commentaries and excuses for the market never changed.
    After a few months of withdrawals, I did find a few radio shows that helped pass the time away, and the boredom of watching 4 screens all day. Sometimes, I do find myself drawn back to CNBC mainly during a break, and find to be reinvigorated for more brain damage.

#19     Nov 7, 2010
  10. seadog

seadog

Let's change the direction.
    How about hotshots of the women on CNBC.

#20     Nov 7, 2010