does volume head price or price lead volume?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by commanderco, Jan 15, 2007.

1. My bad. Here's the pic.

#61     Jan 21, 2007
  2. duard

duard

I always wonder how much of that volume is interexchange spreading. If 60 - 65% of volume is pandering, then only 35 - 40% is directional and of that likely on many days equally divided between bull and bear especially in the context of the whole session. Having said that are you sure bid ask analysis is helpful otherthan to signify an imbalance waiting to correct to VWAP.

Just a thought

#62     Jan 22, 2007
  3. Very smart Question
    I belive neither does anything to anything else
    if U want to check
    there is something called "Grenger test" In econometrics
    to see if some variable depends on another
    Sofeware avaiable for this in Eviews ...maybe spss or SAS does it...not sure

one question...Does one Height depend on his weight or
    Weight depends on Height...
    Deep but true
    GL

#63     Jan 22, 2007
  4. Forget correlation...cause if U it for example

Take a height of a tree (Near Ur House) data and Ur Height (in Inches)...while growing up...
    correlation will give u a nice out put that there is atrong relation and significant...
    But this is abuse of the use of math
    They both depend on time and maybe nothing else
    one thing for sure tho...they have nothing to do with each other

#64     Jan 22, 2007
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

bsam

What is mean about "when price moves off the dime" is the move of price that gets your attention. Price can bounce around in what we call "NOISE". Noise in my opinion is nothing more than ticks between setups, breakouts, etc. In other words not all price prints have any meaning at all in the grand scheme of things.

As a daytrader and within this thread of "what leads what and what follows what" i think there is an unnecessary conflict in the difference between what leads what when used to analyses a possible move and "THE ACTUAL MOVE OFF THE DIME".

Ok, say a daytrader is looking for a setup and or he/she is in a trade and the mkt has gone into consolidation . To "LOOKBACK" and see where you are at and what is possibly coming next is what we all do or should do. In that situation, VOLUME is indeed useful to analyse the situation, i always have said to "LOOKBACK" at volume is valid. i think many misunderstand that.

NOW.............all said and done, back to the question.."What leads what" when price gets off the dime. That answers itself. Price is what trading is about, the reasons why price moved off the dime is again mox-nix, all that matters is if you are winning or losing. Price rules. Thks, time to slice some bacon from some hogs.

:)

#65     Jan 22, 2007
  6. romik

romik

That's what I meant, it's not that instrument becomes expensive, over-valued is the right term. Higher prices on declining volume. In this example the relationship between price/volume is an indicator, I wouldn't say that price nor volume would lead, it's the conditions.

#66     Jan 22, 2007
  7. Originally, the reason I started to learn how to program was because volume (as it's presented conventionally) does not represent actual market forces. Each "bar" shows the commingled volume for that period's elapsed discrete time.

Each bar of volume, for each discrete time period, should actually be two bars. One for the volume of contracts/shares purchased, and one for those that were sold in that "bar's" time period.

So as far as I'm concerned, what is commonly available is absolutely useless.

-kt

#67     Jan 22, 2007
  8. What you require is commonly available.
    It is called "delta"

#68     Jan 22, 2007